Thursday, August 28, 2014

Day 240- A Super Ball Baseball First

Today, I taught Joel how to play super ball baseball for my "first."

This is a game that I made up when I was about Joel's age.  You can play it by yourself or with someone else.  It's been way longer than 20 years since I've played this so it counts as a "first."

To play super ball baseball, you need a brick wall with some concrete or asphalt next to it.  You throw the super ball against the wall and catch it when it comes off.  Sometimes it will be a fly ball or a ground ball. When you play by yourself, you throw and catch the ball.  If you catch it, the other team is out. If it hits the wall first, it will be a ground ball. If it hits the asphalt first, it will be a fly ball. If you miss it, the other team gets a man on base.  You have to get three outs before the other team scores to win.

It is very similar when two people are playing. The difference is when you throw it, the other person catches it.  You keep score and play as many innings as you like. Picking a place to play this game is one of the most crucial parts of the game.  The last time I played it was by myself in the backyard when I was about 10-11 years old. I was playing with a golf ball.  I had pretty good control as a pitcher in those days and was having a blast when I let one go just a tad bit high.  Unfortunately, that meant a broken window and my Dad was sitting right by the back door.  That's probably the first window I ever paid to have replaced.  I haven't played since.  Today, Joel and I revived the super ball (I did  not teach him how to play with a golf ball) baseball game and we had lots of fun.













The difference between when I played today and the last time I played was that this time I picked a nice, wide brick wall without any windows close by to play.  The last time I had a pretty small margin of error before a window would get hit, but I had great confidence in my ability to miss the window.  If I remember right, my Dad even warned me that I was really close to the window. The only problem was that was the only place I had that I could play my game.  This reminds me of something I preached about at Hopewell a while back.  I preached from Ephesians 5:15-17 which says, " Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.  Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is."  I offered a question that I believe is a very helpful question to ask that I heard Any Stanley use. The question is this; "What is the wise thing to do?"  That is different from asking what is the legal, prosperous, or popular thing to do. There may be a situation where you would say that the thing you are considering is not really a sin.  But is it the wise thing to do?  This question can often bring instant clarity to helping us know God's will. It can also save us regrets, tears, heartaches, and money. The next time you are considering a tricky situation, try using the "What is the wise thing to do?" question to help you.  Oh, and if you are considering throwing a golf ball near a window, don't.

Looking for wisdom in the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Grape juice
2. God is a rock that we can stand on
3. Lotion

No comments:

Post a Comment