Saturday, August 30, 2014

Day 242- A Classical First

Today, I listened to 30 minutes of classical music for my "first."

It was not my most exciting "first."  A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine told me about Pandora.  That's a music app for your phone.  I'm loving the Pandora app.  You can set one of your favorite music artists as a station.  They will play music along the style of that artist.  This has really helped me enjoy music more.  Instead of doing the scan button on the radio, I can pick a station titled Steven Curtis Chapman, Matt Redman, or Boston and listen to the style I want to listen to at that time. 

It occurred to me today that I don't listen to classical music hardly at all.  I've tried for a few minutes at a time before but just have a hard time getting into it. I typed classical music on the Pandora app and gave it a listen.  30 minutes seemed to be a decent length of time to give to this "first." I did not want to just listen to one song; that's not really a fair trial.  I knew if I just listened without a time limit, I'd probably stop in 7 minutes and think it was a long time.  I set the timer for 30 minutes.

There is a side of me that feels like I need to be a bit more cultured.  Maybe I should give more attention to the finer things of life. So, It tried classical music. Classical music is relaxing. The musicians are very talented. Surely, these composers work very hard with great abilities to write what they do.  For some reason, it's just not ringing my bell.  I don't dislike it as much as it's just a bit tame.  I do think I would like it a lot better if I saw it live.  If I could see those guys working on the violins and cellos, I believe it would be much more entertaining.



Crazy eyes
 
How about a Fifth of Beethoven?





Here's what I thought as I listened to the classical music today.  Why not put some words to it (along with maybe more drums, a bass, and an electric guitar)?  I think the music is supposed to be telling a story, but I'm just too culturally challenged to have any idea what the story is. I don't know if the song is about love, war, worship, or dogs.  There seems to be a huge need for some cultural training in my life.

I'm glad God has given us words.  The Bible is a clear word from God that we can understand. Surely this is much about the Bible that is very hard to understand, but there is much that is very clear.  It is hard to miss the meaning of "lie not" or Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but by me" or "rejoice in the Lord always and again I say, rejoice."  Some of those visions in Ezekiel and Daniel kind of throw me but I can get the main message God is saying in the Bible.  It is interesting that the Bible calls Jesus the Word. He came and communicated with us what God is like.  Jesus is God in living color; in human flesh.  He teaches us how we can be right with God.  I'm so glad God has spoken clear enough that we know what He is saying. The question is will I trust and obey?

Glad for the clarity of the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Jesus is the Word
2. Clear promises from the Bible
3. Keys

No comments:

Post a Comment