Friday, January 10, 2014

Day 10- A Prayer First

Today is not an easy day for a "first" for me.  I'll be on the road most of the day. I have driven a car before- sometimes responsibly; others not so much.  It's been at least 15 years since I've done doughnuts in a parking lot but I thought I'd save that one.

As I was thinking, I decided to pray about a first. There's a novel idea.  A few hours later as I returned to the idea of a "first" for today and contemplating the difficulty of it, an idea floated into my mind.  What if I took my cell phone and without looking, go into the contacts and just randomly pick a name.  Then, I could call that person and ask if I could pray for them.  I says to myself, that may seem kind of odd and what if it's someone that it might seem kind of weird to ask that.  I sort of dismissed the idea and then thought, "this is what a year of firsts is about."  Getting out of the ordinary and living fully for Jesus.

So I decide this will be my first for today. A phone can look kind of intimidating. This is not as intimidating as calling a girl up and asking her out- though that's not even intimidating anymore because Laura is the only girl and she always says yes! I start thinking up excuses as to what I'll do if I pick someone that I'm uncomfortable just calling up out of the blue and asking if I can pray for them.  Maybe that's unspiritual for a pastor so don't call the preacher police and get me in trouble.



So, I take the old cell phone, turn my head and blindly punch a letter.  Then, without looking, I punch (OK, it's more like a tap; what's with the aggressive language??) a name. Well, it turns out to be someone that I talk to about 3-5 times a year in a sort of professional manner.  So, I decide to try again. Wait, that's what this is about.  Stepping out of the comfort zone and making stride to live the abundant life. So, I call this guy up.  The letter was a P in case you are wondering if you almost got a phone call. I was kind of hoping I'd get Laura.  I talked to the guy about a thing I actually did need to talk to him about (imagine that) and then I asked him if there was something I could pray for him. He shared a need and I prayed with him over the phone and he thanked me.
 

Me posing not praying

 It was not earth shattering or really courageous.  It did keep me aware that I need to be praying for people that I don't normally pray for.  It put me in mind of a few more firsts.  I was also reminded that sometimes Christians get ideas and bail on them because the idea may not be God speaking to them. It might just be their thoughts.  Well, why not simply ask "what could it hurt?" There really is no downside to asking someone if you can pray for them.  If you have an idea that might be from God, ask why not? If it's in line with Scripture and sounds like the heart of Jesus, don't let the devil talk you out of it.

Praying for the abundant life

Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Friendships in Christ last forever
2. Jeremiah 33:3
3. Glasses- I could not see very well without them

No comments:

Post a Comment