Thursday, January 16, 2014

Day 16- An Upside Down First

Today kind of snuck up on me.  I did not do a very good job of planning a "first." This is part of why I'm doing a "first" every day. I don't want life to just sort of get by me and then I wish I had lived life to the full more.  Life has a way of getting away from us and there are things we wish we had done.  I want and need to live more purposefully. 




It's late in the day and I need a first. It comes to my mind that I have not been upside down since I was little. So, I decided to stand on my head. I know I have not done that in the last 15 years.  I don't specifically ever remember doing this, but perhaps I did when I was smaller.

This turned out to be harder than I thought.  First, I had to have help to get flipped upside down.  Thanks to my two children for helping put my legs up on the door for me. It was harder to stay there than I anticipated.  It seems that our legs and not our heads were built to sustain our weight- at least for me. Also, if anyone else is thinking of doing this (and I'm not suggesting you should) I would not wear a baseball cap with a little metal rivet on the top.  I'm not sure what the purpose of that deal is, but it's not helpful when standing on your head.


While I was on my head, I decided I might as well eat a banana while I was there.  I mean, who knows when I'll be there again. I'm real sure I've never eaten a banana while standing on my head.



I was thinking that many times the Christian life is an upside down life.  Many times we are deceived into thinking that it is great gain if we have a lot of possessions. The Bible says contentment with godliness is great gain. It's easy to think that life would be better if other people served us (my wife really believes that if someone cleaned her house for her she would be happier; she's probably right).  Jesus said it's better to serve others.  It's easy to think if I was rich (compared to the whole world I am, but you know what I mean) I would be really happy.  It's far better to lay up treasures in heaven. In light of what the Bible says I have a faith decision to make.  Will I trust what Jesus says or what my flesh and this world says?
Acts 17:6 says, "And when they could not find them, they dragged Jason and some of the brothers before the city authorities, shouting, "These men who have turned the world upside down have come here also."
Looking at our world, it could use a little turning upside down. Or, looking at it  another way, turning right side up.

Upside down for the abundant life

Barry

3 things I thank God for
1. God's truth
2. Gracefulness of deer when they are running
3. My socks stayed up all day

No comments:

Post a Comment