Monday, January 6, 2014

Day 6- Gassed up and Ready to Go

Happy Bean Day!!  That's right, today is National Bean Day.  I've never celebrated National Bean Day before so it seemed like a good first. 

There were a couple of suggestions on how to celebrate that I found.  One was to plant some beans.  Uhh, it's below 30 degrees outside so I don't think so.  You could also try a new bean recipe.  Thanks, but no thanks.

Instead, I decided that I would eat beans at each meal today.  Laura was supportive but not ecstatic. So, for breakfast, I usually enjoy the nectar of the coffee bean.  I've never had coffee and beans for breakfast.



Today, it was green beans, 3 bean salad and coffee. Laura has asked me about eating three bean salad before. I've laways said I didn't like it. Confession: I had actually never tried it. Today, I tried it for the first time. I don't like it.

For lunch, I had black beans.  Supper meant beans Louisiana style which is red beans and rice.  That won the best bean award by far.

In truth, beans are good for us.  Joy Bauer writes of the heath benefits of beans: Beans, lentils and other nutritious legumes are the best sources of lean vegetarian protein. Legumes are made up of high-quality carbohydrates that are rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber. They tend to be notably high in soluble fiber, folate, magnesium, iron, and potassium. These heart-healthy nutrients help lower cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure, and they can reduce your risk of coronary artery disease, diabetes, and osteoporosis

The ideal way to get the  health benefits of beans would be to eat them daily; not try to get it all in one day.  The same is true of our relationship with God. You can't get all the spirutal nutrition from God's word one day a week (read going to church on Sunday and listening to the preacher).  I can't get all the fellowship I need from one class time a week.  I can't get all the prayer time I need at one sitting.  God is a person and there are daily apsects to a personal relationship

In my personal time alone with the Lord today I read from Luke 2. This is how the NLT reads: 48 His parents didn’t know what to think. “Son,” his mother said to him, “why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been frantic, searching for you everywhere.” 49 “But why did you need to search?” he asked. “Didn’t you know that I must be in my Father’s house?”50 But they didn’t understand what he meant.

If we want a deep relationship with Jesus, we need to daily spend time in the places where He is likely to be found.  Go faithfully, regulary, and with a submissive heart.

So, bean day has bean kind of fun. It was truly a first.

Gassed up and ready to go for the abundant life

Barry

3 things I thank God for
1. I'm not playing football in Green Bay today
2. I had the smoothest rolling cart at Wal-Mart today ever.
3. Jesus is the ultimate champion

1 comment:

  1. This has bean a truly useful post, and now I know what to feed my mother to help her potassium and magnesium levels. :)
    Blessings,
    Beanie (Regina) Wright

    ReplyDelete