Monday, January 13, 2014

Day 13- I can do all things through Christ; really?


Today I let Hannah Grace and Joel pick a first for me.  I did give them several options to choose from.  I am not brave enough to give them complete freedom on this one.

The option they chose was to try to eat a spoonful of cinnamon in one swallow. I had read somewhere that is virtually impossible to do.  We watched several Youtube videos of people trying to do this last year; including one where someone actually claimed to do it.  I remembered thinking then that maybe I really could do that.  But, in my hesitant nature, I would not attempt it.  After all, how bad can one spoon of cinnamon be?




The Bible says we can do all things through Christ, right?  I have Christ living in me.  I have confessed that the Spirit who raised Jesus from the dead lives in me.  So, a spoon of cinnamon should be no big deal.






Actually, it was a pretty big deal.  There is something about it that just sort of gums up in your mouth. I've heard about people who like a little pinch between their lip and gums. I did not enjoy a wad of cinnamon occupying that space.  Then, after I spit it out, it would not leave. I rinsed with water.  I rinsed with water again.  And again.  And again.  It stayed between the ole lip and gums.  I went and brushed my teeth.  Finally, I had most of that removed and realized there was still some in the back of my throat.  I'm writing this about 20 minutes later and it's still there in the back of my throat. 

It's easy to take a verse of the Bible out of context.  That happens with Philippians 4:13 all the time.  People quote "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" as a way of accomplishing some goal they have set for themselves.  The context of that verse is that Paul can be content in all circumstances.  He can rejoice in Christ in any situation.  Yet, if I'm not careful, I'll use that verse to try to get something because I'm discontent.  The key is that we can do what God wants us to do.  Hence, the phrase "through Christ." What God wants me to do, I can do relying on Him.  It seems that swallowing a spoonful of cinnamon may not be on the list of things God wants me to do.

Hannah Grace decided she wanted to try it as well. She wanted a smaller amount to try.  It seems that God does not want her to swallow a spoonful of cinnamon either.  Hmmm, how about a spoonful of sugar.  I think there may even be a song about that one.




Hungry for the abundant life in Christ


Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Missionaries who serve in restricted countries
2. Bananas
3. The taste of cinnamon (in small doses)


No comments:

Post a Comment