Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Day 267-A Somersault First

Today, I did a somersault for my "first."

Hannah Grace informed me that tumbling people call this a front roll.  I did plenty of these as a kid, but it's been at least 15-20 years since I've done one. It has probably been longer than that.  The necessity of doing a somersault just does not come up for someone my age.  The desire to do a somersault just does not come up much (OK, not at all for me) for someone my age; at least from my perspective.

Joel did one first to sort of remind me how to do this.  He is really good at it.  It looked pretty simple.  I squatted down and it did not seem so simple then. How does one start this in a painless way? Hannah Grace did one and I watched where her head hit. This seemed to be important to me when I squatted down to get ready. She said it kind of hurt her head.  Laura also squatted down to help me get the right form. However, she did not actually perform a somersault; she just offered advice.  I think I would have done better at offering advice than actually doing a somersault.

So, I just had to go for it.  I squatted back down and tucked my chin (Laura's advice) and just rolled over.  It made me dizzy. Something about that going over messed with my equilibrium. Hannah Grace was right.  It did hurt my head more than I thought.  Here's a truth for you; doing a somersault at 10 is far different from doing a somersault 40+ years later.










Here's the verse that came to my mind when I thought about the somersault.  Acts 17:6 says, "But when they did not find them, they dragged Jason and some brethren to the rulers of the city, crying out, “These who have turned the world upside down have come here too." Actually, the men who were following and teaching about Jesus were turning the world right side up. It's just if you are used to upside down then right side up seems upside down.  Jesus operates differently than what the world is used to. The world is used to people clamoring for power, money, sex, pleasure, and self.  Jesus said we are to deny self and follow Him.  Jesus said we are to put others before ourselves. Jesus said we are to give and lay up treasure in heaven.  Jesus said we are not to seek revenge, but to love and pray for our enemies.  Most of all, Jesus said the work of God is to believe in Him (John 6:29). 

Much of life is a trust issue.  Will we trust Jesus whose ways are not our ways or will we trust in what seems right and what our culture says is right?  It might be helpful to simply look around and see where the world's way brings us and where Jesus' way brings us.  When I reflect on my life, I'm always sad about living my way (choosing not to believe and obey God) and I'm always glad for the times I believed and obeyed God.

Glad Jesus' way leads to right side up abundant living
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. The small group Bible study I'm leading
2. People who pray on Wednesday nights
3. A good discussion tonight at church on what it means to have a heart for God

No comments:

Post a Comment