Sunday, September 14, 2014

Day 257- A Mixed First

It has been a busy Sunday. I have preached twice, taught 2 classes, went to deacons meeting, and a committee meeting. That's a pretty full Sunday for me.  As I was laying down with Hannah Grace at bedtime tonight, she asked me what my "first" was for today.  I said, "I don't know. I have not done a "first" yet."  After putting the children to bed is a bad time to start hunting a "first."

Last week I was in the grocery store when something caught my eye.  It was a drink that was half lemonade and half iced tea. It had Arnold Palmer's picture and autograph on the front. I'm not sure what playing golf has to do with mixing iced tea and lemonade, but I decided to buy for a "first" one day.  Today was that day.  I drank iced tea mixed with lemonade for my "first" today.

It has never occurred to me to mix iced tea and lemonade. I love iced tea.  I love lemonade. What would it be like to mix the two together?  I found out tonight.  It is not that great to me.  I mean, it was OK.  It tasted kind of like a tea that has soured or lemonade with something wrong with it. When I bought it, I had my doubts if this was something I would really enjoy.  That's because of one word on the front.  Lite.  That's not a good word for my tastes.  I'm not sure if it was the mixture or if it was the "lite" that sort of threw it off for me. I think I'll stick with lemonade or tea but not both from now on. 





I fixed my glass of half tea and half lemonade while I was heating up my supper.  As I put my plate down and started carrying the glass of half tea and half lemonade to drink with my supper, I thought, "I don't think so."  I was tired and wanted to relax with my supper and something to drink that I really enjoyed.  I poured out Arnold's drink and got me some real sweet tea.  Life is too short to drink sour tea if you have sweet tea in the fridge. 


If you are a follower of Jesus, don't settle for a half-hearted relationship with Jesus. Don't settle for a half-hearted joy, peace, or witness for Christ. Pour that half hearted stuff out and go for all that God has for you.  We only get one shot at this life. We only get one chance to allow God to touch the world through our lives.  Why waste it?  Why give it a puny effort?  Why not press on and see how close you can get to Jesus? Why not see how many people you can mention the name of Jesus to this week?  Give Jesus your best. Then, at the end of the day when you are tired, get a glass of something that you really enjoy and thank God for the day.

Pressing on for the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Noodles
2. God's abundance
3. Chairs with cushions

No comments:

Post a Comment