Sunday, September 21, 2014

Day 264- An Alligator First

Today, I ate alligator jerky for my "first."

I've actually eaten alligator before. The best I've ever had was blackened alligator with a Hollandaise sauce. It was delicious.  I've never eaten alligator jerky.  To be truthful, the ingredients listed alligator meat (North American) and beef.  The ingredients also listed spices, brown sugar, onion powder, and garlic powder.

I asked Hannah Grace if she wanted to try some alligator jerky. She said, "Ew."  I think that translates into a no.  Joel said he was up for some. We had tried kangaroo jerky a few weeks back and he loved it.  The alligator was tougher and he had a hard time biting off a piece.  He said it was pretty good. After about 10 seconds, he declared it was really spicy.  After another 30 seconds or so, he said it kept getting spicier and ran for something to drink.

I tried it as well. It was too tough for me to bite off a piece so I tore off a piece lest I lost a tooth. That would make for an embarrassing story and a "first."  It was not that spicy to me; not for the first 30 seconds or so. Then my head begin to sweat.  It had a good taste to it, but it was definitely spicy. 

Laura got home from church later than us tonight because she had a prayer committee meeting. She debated on the alligator meat after hearing Joel and I say it was tough and spicy.  She tried a small piece.  Laura said it was too spicy for her.  She added that it was good protein and if she was deserted on an island, she would eat it and do just fine. I'm not sure if she thinks she may be deserted on a desert island or dreams about this, but that was her comment.









 



The consensus was it was tough and spicy (though useful if deserted on an island). I guess you could say the alligator had some bite to it. It occurred to me that as followers of Jesus, we should be spicy. If we are truly following Jesus, our lives should  not be bland, vanilla, and just like the culture around us.  Jesus was not boring.  He brought some spice to the table.  People were perplexed by Jesus, amazed by Jesus, and surprised by Jesus.  He was no ordinary prophet or rabbi.

What is there about our lives as His followers that add some spice and bite to life? Is there something about our love, forgiveness, hope, integrity, courage, generosity, and freedom to live as God directs and not as the people around us do that catches people off guard?  We are called to be more than simply nice, polite, and moral.  We are following the God who is so creative that no two snowflakes are the same. It is so easy to sort of drift into what other Christians are doing and not really seek after God for ourselves with a passionate heart to know Him.  Paul wrote in Galatians 1:10, "For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ."  Let's cast off the desire to fit in and be like others and really go after Jesus. Let's live a life that makes Him smile.

Looking for that spicy abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Jesus is not boring
2. Growing up in a place where I got to see alligators
3. Spicy Christians God has used to challenge me

No comments:

Post a Comment