Thursday, September 25, 2014

Day 268- A Comical First

Today, I celebrated National Comic Book Day for my "first."

I did not know there was a National Comic Book Day but when I heard of it I decided that would be a great "first" for me because I love comic books. When I was young, I read lots of comic books like Charlie Brown, Dennis the Menace, Captain America, and Beetle Bailey to name just a few.  I have always loved to laugh and comic books were one of the first humor books I read. Laura had to go to the drug store today and I asked her to pick me up a comic book or two. She said they didn't have any. That is pretty sad to me.

Tonight, I found some old comic books and read for a spell.  Joel saw me reading and came to join me. Hannah Grace joined me for a while, but she had a 4-H project that took her away and occupied most of her time.  Joel also had a ball game tonight so ours was a short evening.

Joel and I read Charlie Brown the most. This was a lot of fun because I could tell Joel really enjoyed Charlie Brown.  He was laughing out loud and it was very obvious that he was enjoying this as much as I was. We especially enjoyed the comics about Charlie Brown's baseball team and the Snoopy ones. When I mentioned it was comic book day, he went to his room because he said he had a comic book. He brought back an Action Bible which he enjoys reading. I was glad to see that.  He sat and read it for a bit while I was getting their snacks and medicine for the night.  For someone who is new to Christianity, a comic book Bible is a good way to learn the Bible stories.









As I thought about the fun that Joel and I had reading Charlie Brown, I thought of a Bible verse.  It was Psalm 145:4 which says (NLT), "Let each generation tell its children of your mighty acts; let them proclaim your power."  It was fun to see Joel enjoying the comics I enjoyed as a child.  It is even more important that I share with him the stories God has written into my life.  We need to tell our stories of faith to our children and grandchildren. If you are a follower of Jesus, you need to tell your salvation story to your children.  As a pastor, I've preached many funerals. Sadly, I've had people come to me and ask about a parent's salvation and what I knew of their parent's relationship with the Lord.  It's been much more joyful when I've done a funeral and the children have told me of their parent's conversion.  The children should be telling that story to the pastor and not the other way around. It's way more convincing for both parties.

There are other stories.  Perhaps you have an answered prayer story, mission trip story, witnessing story, revival story of how God has worked in your life. Make sure you tell that to your family members. that is so much better than the comic books, TV shows, or music that you enjoyed in years gone by.  Tell the God stories. Your children (and parents for that matter) need to hear them and you need to tell them.  You might be surprised how interested they are in how God has worked in your life.

Grateful for the abundant life stories
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. God stories
2. Comic books
3. Shared laughs with children

No comments:

Post a Comment