Monday, June 2, 2014

Day 153- A VBS Crew First

We started our Vacation Bible School at church tonight. This is where we have a special time for the children to come to church each night from 6-8:30 to do Bible study, recreation, crafts, learn about missions, worship and those kinds of things.  As a pastor, I've typically sort of floated (OK, walked) around and tried to encourage people and been available to help where help was needed in VBS.  Tonight, I was a crew leader at VBS for my "first."

A crew leader is someone who leads a group of children to their different places in VBS.  The crew leaders don't actually teach the Bible lesson or make the crafts, etc.  They lead the children from place to place and assist where necessary.  So, I spend the evening with 5 boys at VBS instead of floating around to see where I might be needed.

I really enjoyed being a crew leader.  The boys were fun to be around.  It was pretty cool to spend the whole evening with the 5 boys and kind of get to know them.  They were an interesting bunch. At our snack, we were to talk with the boys about "God-sightings."  We explained that we wanted them to watch for places where they saw God at work during this week.  It might be something in nature that reminded them of God.  It could be something that it seemed that God did in their life or someone else's.  One of the boys said he had a God-sighting from today. He went fishing today and before he went he prayed that he would be able to catch a lot of fish.  He did; he caught 11 and his brother only caught one or two.  So, I'm going to enlist this young man as my prayer partner the next time I go fishing; I thought about taking him along but then I might get out-fished.  I was also reminded several times through the evening of the important of taking turns.  It seems I heard the phrase, "It's my turn, it's my turn a time or two or 50."

Another "first" was that I heard someone in our church pray in an Australian accent and no, they were not Australian.

My crew; the kid with the beard looked a little old to me









Look who's taking up the offering for the girls


Bible guy or someone who was late and showed up in his bathrobe?

Beautiful Bible teacher
 
What I loved about this "first" was how much time I was able to spend with the children. That is a huge part of VBS.  We want children to know and experience Jesus' love through us. I know they won't be able to retain the Bible knowledge forever.  They may not remember the stories that we taught next month.  I do believe when you plant the seed of God's word in someone's heart it has the possibility of bearing much fruit.  I do believe they will remember if they were loved or not.  Was church a place they enjoyed being and felt like they belonged?  VBS is like so many ministries; what we do is important but the love that we do it with is huge as well.  1 Corinthians 13: 1-3 says, "If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing."
 
Looking forward to more abundant life in VBS
Barry
 
3 things I thank God for today
1. Crew 6 in VBS
2. Parents that led their children come to VBS
3. Cute kids


No comments:

Post a Comment