Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Day 176- A National Catfish Day First

Today is National Catfish Day.  That's the kind of holiday I can enjoy.  I celebrated National Catfish Day for my "first."

I was driving out of town today and I stopped at a restaurant that I've never stopped at before and ate fried catfish for lunch.  This place had some pretty cool sides and offered me two for the lunch special.  I had cheese grits in honor of Alabama and red beans and rice in honor of Louisiana. The catfish was good. It was even better when I dipped it in ketchup with just a dash or two of Tabasco sauce mixed in it.  I enjoyed celebrating National Catfish Day.

I realized I could have done more. I should have wished some people Happy Catfish Day; especially at the restaurant. They probably did not even know about it.  Late this evening it occurred to me that I should have gone fishing for catfish. That would have been loads of fun, but I don't know how I could have made time for that today.

Then I realized that maybe the catfish were not too fond of how I was celebrating National Catfish Day.  I did not read up on the holiday at all.  Maybe I should have taken some food to the river and fed the catfish.  My celebration was more about me than it was looking out for the catfish's joy.  It kind of reminded me of Christmas.  It is very easy to celebrate Jesus' birthday by spending way too much money on gifts for each other rather than focusing on Jesus.

This was on the wall in the restroom; I love the Scripture and felt good about eating in a place where the owners are possibly Christians.  I did get to wondering why this one in the restroom?  



This picture was on the wall; if this is how they get their fish, that must be one busy man!



I could have went fishing

I loved Catfish Day though I could have made more of it.  Catfish Day got me to thinking about how God can change us for His glory.  How?  Well, I'm glad you asked.  Catfish are bottom feeders and can eat some pretty gross stuff.  They eat aquatic plants, other fish, decaying vegetation, fish eggs and crawfish as well as snails, aquatic bugs and minnows. They are also carrion eaters eating many types of dead things. They can eat carrion such as dead fish, dead bugs, or anything else that is dead quite handily. There is quite an advantage to being a “bottom feeder”. They also eat worm and leeches. I've used worms, small bream, and minnows in fishing for catfish. I'm not going to use a leech. I don't want to use something for bait that might bite me and then I'm trying to get away instead of the fish trying to get away. 

So here is an animal that eats leeches and dead bugs and tastes delicious. How does that happen?  It's a wonder of transformation. Plus, it's one that I believe we'll enjoy in heaven.  Some people laugh at me when I say that but what did Jesus eat with the disciples?  Luke 24: 42-43, " So they gave Him a piece of a broiled fish and some honeycomb. And He took it and ate in their presence." This makes me think there will be seafood in heaven.

Well, if a bottom feeding fish can be transformed into a delicious meal by a cook with the right ingredients, then God can transform us into His likeness by the power of the Holy Spirit.  2 Corinthians 3:18- "But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord."  The more we get focused on Jesus and wrapped up in Him, the more He can change us.  Sometimes people try to transform their own lives by working hard.  Some of that is OK, I guess. Don't forget to meditate upon Jesus and who He is.  Let love for Him transform you from the inside out.

Looking for transformation in the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Catfish
2. Thoughtful waitresses who bring you the Tabasco sauce the first time you ask
3. Jesus is alive

No comments:

Post a Comment