Monday, June 9, 2014

Day 160- A Comfortable First

Yesterday I did an uncomfortable "first."  I switched that around today and did a comfortable "first."  The family and I were in the mall and I was hunting a "first."  Joel wanted to go to GameStop and look for DS games so I sat outside and read while he did that.  While I was sitting there, it occurred to me that I was sitting in one of those massage recliner chairs.  I've never actually put money in one of those and had the chair massage thing at the mall.  I asked a guy working near there how much it cost to do that.  He said he guessed a dollar.  Happily, he guessed right.  I had a recliner chair massage for my "first."

Admittedly, a licensed massage therapist would do much better at giving a massage than a chair.  Sadly, most of those cost considerably more than a dollar.  It was actually a bit better than I expected.  I thought it would simply vibrate. There was something that felt kind of like a person's knuckles that went up and down your back with a bit of pressure.  I started kind of enjoying it and scootching around so the knuckle things would get in the right places.  It seemed there was also some sort of head massage attempt occasionally, but that never really worked for me. The biggest drawback is sort of feeling like a doofus sitting there in the mall trying to get some type of massage out of a chair.  It was not a good enough massage to make me groan and drool; that's a plus for the doofus looking deal.  If you can get past that and just relax, it does feel kind of good for a few minutes.


It would seem like they would put how much this thing costs somewhere, but I never found it

This may be a bit doofus looking, but it sure beats being in that store behind me where certain family members were. If you are a male and don't know that store, you should pause for a moment and give thanks to God.



I got a cheap massage and was not in Justice; pretty good deal really.  It is not like a real massage with a licensed therapist, but you get what you pay for. That's true in much of life.  However, in the very best offer of life, you can have what someone else paid for.  We have all sinned.  We have a sin penalty to pay.  The Bible says in Romans 6:23, "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."  The beauty of the Gospel is that Jesus paid our sin debt for us.  He took what you and I justly deserved and paid it all.  I don't have to have just what I can pay for.  By faith, God offers me what Jesus paid for; eternal and abundant life. I can trade my sins for salvation.  I can trade a worldly self-centered life for one that God controls, directs, and uses for His eternal purposes.  That is why the Gospel means "good news." It is the best news that a sinful, broken person can hear. Jesus died for you.  He took your place. He promises that if we would repent and trust Him, He would make us new people with a new life.  That is enough to put a smile on my face. 

Now, I wonder if Laura feels like rubbing my back....

Thankful for what Jesus paid for and offers in the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Visits with family
2. A car that does not break down often
3. Jesus paid it all

No comments:

Post a Comment