Thursday, June 5, 2014

Day 156- A VBS Prayer First and a Son First

Today, I went to the Vacation Bible School Prayer Room and prayed for the leaders and children before VBS for my "first."

Admittedly, this is not a huge "first."  I have been to the VBS prayer room in years past when asked to pray about a specific request.  Today, I went there before VBS and attempted to pray for the leaders and children by name.  One reason I did this early is because I knew that tonight I would teach a class in VBS and then go to the funeral home to visit and then go to Joel's late ball game.  I was not going to have time to do a "first" at VBS and the prayer room was one I wanted to do.

Our prayer committee came up with the idea of having a prayer room at church during VBS several years ago.  We have people responsible for being in there at certain times during VBS to pray while VBS is going on.  If there are things that happen that need praying for while VBS is going on (sick child, stressed teacher, the Gospel being presented to someone, etc.) we can have someone praying immediately for that request.  I think this is a really cool idea that the prayer committee suggested. I'm very grateful that the church has responded by volunteering to be in the prayer room during our week of VBS.

Since I knew I would not be there with any time to be in the prayer room, I went in there early this afternoon and prayed. I thought it would be cool to be able to look at teachers, leaders, and children as they arrived this evening and know that I had already prayed for them.


Come on in the prayer room, Jesus invites you





We are praying for people to praise God; to make His name great!

It's really a cool thing to imagine these guys faces as you pray for them
















It is Vacation Bible School 


Well, I said I attempted to pray for them all by name. The truth is that while I was praying I got a phone call and was called away. I did manage to pray for some like I wanted; I had to really rush through the rest.  I felt bad that I did not allow myself more time; I did not anticipate the interruptions.  Even if you don't have time to pray like you feel you need to, go ahead and spend what time you have.  You won't regret it. The thing I would have regretted more than getting the prayer time cut short would have been not praying there at all.

Last night I mentioned that the nursery workers were some unsung heroes of the church. The same could be said for those who pray.  I thank God that we have some folks who will drive from their homes, usually after a full day of work, and spend time alone or with one or two other people praying for VBS.  To some that may seem like a waste of an evening. To others, it would be hard to imagine that an evening in front of the TV would be more important.

I mentioned I also had a son "first."  Tonight, Joel had his last baseball game.  Their team did not have a good game and were getting beat by a large margin.  The coach brought Joel in to pitch with 2 out and the bases loaded in the opposing team's last at bat.  He has never pitched before; not even in the yard.  He said he was pretty scared.  He worked the batter to a full count and then struck him out on a called third strike.  I watched my son pitch in his first baseball game as a "first" tonight (thanks Coach).



Praying for the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Joel got to pitch in his first game
2. Prayer rooms at VBS
3. People willing to come to church to pray in prayer rooms at VBS

No comments:

Post a Comment