Thursday, June 26, 2014

Day 177- An Olde Seville Square First

I went to Pensacola to the Olde Seville Square to listen to a concert by the Sarah Mac band for my "first" today.

This was a free outdoor concert in downtown Pensacola. I saw this on a website that features events in Pensacola and that the Sarah Mac Band was back by popular demand.  So, since the family was out of town I could sit at home and watch TV or ride to Pensacola and see why her popularity demanded her band to come back. The year of "firsts" helped me to not act like an old person and get out and go to the concert. I've been to concerts before, but I figure this was a a "first" the way it played out with the location and the band. I did think that I could have stood up and yelled, "Play some Creedence" and that would have been a definite "first."  I decided not to do that. If you don't understand that, search Youtube with "Creedence Clearwater Revival" and add the words "Bad Moon Rising" and you'll get an idea.

For those of you who know I'm a pastor and figured this was a Christian singer; no she was not touted as a Christian singer. I had never heard of the band before.  I had no real idea of what I was going to listen to.  Hey, a free outdoor concert in Pensacola? What are the downsides to that?

I did enjoy myself.  The setting in the Olde Seville Square is pretty nice. There are big old live oak trees that cast a lot of shade.  There was a pretty big crowd that seemed to be having a good time.  I enjoyed the music. There was the lead singer that also played acoustic guitar on some songs; I presume that is Sarah Mac. With her was a bass player and electric guitar player.  The music was not so loud that is was overwhelming.  As I listened, I thought that this is a soulful, bluesy kind of music.  Then, they described their music style as "jazzy bluesy rock with a whole loot of soul." I was very happy to hear that; I was not too far off with my musical assessment.




Me jamming


A cool cat at the concert




I enjoyed myself this evening. While the band was playing a song that talked about a person that wanted to go to Michigan to see their true love, I noticed one lady standing up with a raised hand.  Just one. I thought to myself, I wish I had a picture of her so that I could explain to people that feel led to stand up and raise their hands in praise to the Lord that they should not be ashamed to do that. I don't know if this lady had a true love in Michigan that she wanted to go see or what, but she was into the song.  I guess all I can say is "Go girl."

The thing I liked besides the musical style was that the lyrics had some meaning to them. I would have enjoyed it more if I had known the words to the songs of course. Here's one that I looked up that was enjoyable:

I’m ready to be alive again
My heart has lain fallow for far too long
And the rest of me has been following
But I’ve made up my mind, I am too young to expire
Uncloak the embers of soul and breathe them to fire
Because I’m ready to be alive again
I’m ready to be alive again

Though Sarah may not have intended this message with her song (she may have), I'm glad Jesus can offer us new life. He said in John 10:10 (NLT), " The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life."  Yes, Jesus can give life again if we will trust Him and surrender to Him.  Wherever we are, whoever we are, Jesus wants you to have life. Jesus talks a lot about life in John.  I'm so glad that He is the giver and sustainter of life. 

Praising God for abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Music
2. Truth
3. Live Oak trees 

No comments:

Post a Comment