Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Day 168- A Boasting First

Today I bragged on my daughter Hannah Grace to a complete stranger for my "first."

I was taking Hannah Grace to swim practice and she complained about being hungry.  So, we stopped off at store and bought her some Cheetos; the snack of champions! Well, maybe the snack that Hannah Grace enjoys.  As she was bringing them to the cashier, she said it was the last bag they had.The cashier was someone we had not met before; a perfect stranger.  OK, she was not perfect. I could detect a flaw or two at the first meeting, but since I posted something earlier on FB about Christians should not be critical, we'll just leave it there. Anyway, I asked the cashier if she thought that Hannah Grace (whom she has never met) deserved to have the last bag of Cheetos.  She gave me sort of a blank stare.  I was hoping for some kind of reaction, but I had already come up with a plan for my "first" so I plunged ahead. I said something like, "I believe that she does. This is one of the sweetest girls you will ever meet. I am very proud of her because she is sweet, creative, thoughtful, caring, and never talks back to her Daddy.  Well, never might be a little strong, but she is very respectful."  The lady said that was nice.

As we were walking out, I asked Hannah Grace said something about me bragging on her. I asked her how me bragging on her made her feel. She said good and and kind of embarrassed. I asked her if that was embarrassed in a good way or in a bad way. She said a good way.  The big smile she had was pretty cool. Of course, the smile may have been for the Cheetos.  By the way, it was the crunchy Cheetos, not the puffy kind. We like the crunchy ones better.

Some of you may remember me doing a "first" where I bragged on Laura to a random stranger. Do you think it's possible that I may have a "first" where I brag on Joel to a random stranger??? It is way more than possible.






I know that it can be irritating when parents are constantly bragging on their children. My goal is not to be irritating or boastful. That was not my purpose today.  My purpose was to let Hannah Grace know that I'm very proud of her and that she is accepted for who she is.  That is one reason I picked a random stranger and why I wanted her to hear me brag on her.  Several years ago I sent an email to a random group of my friends and asked them what they wish their parents had said to them more often.  I anticipated that most people would respond by emailing they had wished their parents said I love you more often. That was a pretty common response. One other that was really close in frequency to I love you was I'm proud of you.  As I've read and studied, it seems to me that there are many children who long to hear the words, "I'm proud of you."  I decided that I would include that in the words that I say frequently to my children. One older guy said the thing he had wished he had heard more often as a child was, "We are not going to work in the hayfield today."

God the Father said to Jesus the Son in Matthew 3:17, "And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."  God the Father bragged on His Son in front of people.  Once again, the purpose is not to boast or put people off.  The purpose is to bring assurance to your children's lives.  God the Father said this to Jesus just before He went into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. When the devil threw the temptations at Jesus, He had the accepting words of His Father still ringing in His ears. That must have meant so much to Him.

Without being boastful or prideful, why not brag on a family member or close friend that you love where they can hear you. It just might make their day.

Wanting to remain focused on bragging on Jesus in the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Deodorant
2. Toothpaste
3. I have very little body pains

No comments:

Post a Comment