Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Day 35- A Tapping First

I tried tapping for my emotional and physical health for the first time today.  That was my "first."
 
A long time ago (at my kitchen table not in a galaxy far away) I received one of those unsolicited emails that was kind of interesting.  It was about "tapping" for emotional and physical health.  The email explained that the ancient Chinese found several meridian or energy points in our bodies.  These are like energy centers. They theorized that most problems in our bodies (physical and emotional) were caused by a disruption of the energy flow in our bodies. They used these in acupuncture methods.  Well, it seems that some have figured out that if you simply tap on these energy centers, you can release stress, resolve fears, and even relieve physical illness.  The free ebook that I downloaded claimed thousands of people had found relief through tapping. One lady had overcome her fear of water in one tapping session when a long time of therapy had not helped. 
 
This was interesting to me.  I decided I'd save this ebook and read it sometime. I checked the download date just now.  It was July of 2011 when I downloaded the ebook.Wow, that's some delay in deciding to read something and check it out.
 
So, today I decided this would be my "first". I opened up the ebook and read about where the meridian points were.  They are located on the top of the head, on the hand where you karate chop, 3 around the eye,  one between the nose and mouth, one on the chin, one below the collarbone and one about 3 inches below the underarm.  Then, before you tap 5-7 times on each point, you are to craft a set up sentence that addresses a problem you are having.
 
I decided to "tap" on the anxiety I feel about being prepared to speak. this week. I start teaching  a Samford Extension class in addition to my regular preaching times.  I "tapped" on that.  I also tapped on another anxiety or two.
 
Me tapping



Me all relaxed after tapping

After you tap, you are to take a deep breath and notice how you feel.  I really could not tell any difference. I tried to tell a difference, but it was minuscule at best. Of course, my stress level was not very high anyway.  I've been having a good deal of pain in my right arm. I have self-diagnosed this as tendinitis. I have also self-determined that going to the doctor is not going to help much since I can not take anti-inflammatory drugs for the tendinitis.  There is some foundation for this conclusion. I've had tendinitis before and I can't take anti-inflammatory drugs and so there is very little to be done about it. I "tapped" about the arm pain.  There were a couple of testimonials that I read that said tapping had miraculous results for physical pain. After tapping, I'm positive my pain did not abate at all.  Zilch. Zero. Nada.

I'm not sure what to make of the whole tapping thing. Even Jack Canfield (author of the Chicken Soup for the Soul series of books) has bought into tapping and has written a book on tapping. Most things that seem too good to be true are.  If tapping could cure all pain, the hospitals would be emptied by now.  I'm not sure what to think of the testimonials.  It's possible that some wanted relief from the anxiety and believed strongly enough this would help that it actually worked in some sort of placebo way.

As I tapped, I thought about the truth that knocking would be better. No, not knocking myself in the head(though at times I'm sure that would relieve other people's stress), but knocking as in Jesus said, "Knock and it shall be opened unto you."  It seems a much better idea to take our anxieties and fears to the One who can calm the storms and the seas and leave them in His hands.  He is peace and the only real peace is found in Him.  So, I'll take praying over tapping. I might even call the Doc about my arm.

Knock and the door shall be opened

The other take-away for me today is that doing a "first" helped me to do something that I've been putting off for a long time.  Now, when I see that tapping book, I don't have to worry about when I'll try that. It's done! There was at least one other positive about doing the tapping "first". My sister-in-law Ali is here with her 3 children. They are all under 5 (the children not Ali).  Laura suggested that I keep her 3 children plus our two while she and Ali went to exercise class. My response:  I'm so sorry, I have tapping to do.

Praying for the abundant life

Barry

3 things I thank God for
1. Matthew 7:7
2. Jesus' promise of eternal life
3. Poppy seed chicken casserole that Laura made tonight

P.S.- I would love some ideas on some "firsts" I might try (key word is might)

No comments:

Post a Comment