Thursday, February 27, 2014

Day 58- A Spelling First

Today I woke up and thought that I had never had a massage two days in a row. What a great "first" that would be (see yesterday if this doesn't seems really random).

That probably seems like cheating to some. It sounds great to me. I chose not to do that for my "first." It's been a full day with not a lot of time for a "first." I asked Hannah Grace for some help.  What we came up with together is that I would study for a spelling test.  It's been more than 20 years and so that constitutes a "first."  I studied spelling words for my "first" today.

Since Laura and I have been out of town, I've not been calling Hannah Grace's words out to her this week.  So, she called her words out to me.  She's in the 6th grade.  She was the teacher and I was the student tonight.  She called out the hardest words first.  She really wanted to get Daddy to miss one.

My beautiful teacher

Looking all professional


Wouldn't you like to have her for a teacher?

Ready for my test

Can I use spell check?



It turns out that I may not be smarter than a 5th grader, but I can do pretty well on a 6th grade spelling test.  My teacher gave me a 100.  The words were not too hard.  I had words like partnership, membership, cooperitive, and restrictive.  It was a bit surprising that it was harder than I thought spelling the words out loud. I'm not used to doing that.  I spell words pretty good when I'm writing and typing (especially with spell check).  Spelling words out loud is just not something I have a reason to do.  The brain was just a tad bit rusty with that process, but managed to get them all right.  By the way, I did misspell cooperative earlier in the post just to see if you would get it.

Hannah Grace and I had fun doing this together.  Actually, playing the Wii was more fun, but this was fun, too. I was reminded that if I don't do something occasionally, it gets harder.  My brain does get a bit rusty if I don't use it in a certain way.  I believe this is one reason why Romans 12:2 is so important. That verse says, "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."

So much of what I see and hear in the contemporary media is not from a Biblical worldview.  Even shows or music that does not contain curse words or sexually explicit words still will often present life from a very non-Christian perspective.  When is the last time you saw a show where a couple fell in love and did not have sex until after they were married?  When is the last time you heard a secular song that glorified integrity? When is the last time you saw a show where people prayed about a decision they were about to make?  I need to read, study, hear, memorize, and obey God's word as a way of renewing my mind.  I'm finding that if I'll memorize a verse or two a week it really helps.  I can go over my verse when I first wake up and when I'm going to sleep at night. When I'm driving to town, instead of just letting my mind drift it's much more beneficial to go over my verse.  Sometimes in a day I recognize that my thoughts are tending toward the negative and I can start working on my verse and thinking about what God is saying to me through that verse.  It's been very helpful for me to renew my mind this way.  I invite you to start soaking your mind in God's word.

Meditating on Scripture for the abundant life

Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. My theology teacher Fischer Humphries
2. Campus Crusade for Christ
3. Morgan Cryar giving me a Bible just like I wanted when I was praying for one in college

No comments:

Post a Comment