Sunday, February 9, 2014

Day 40- A Planting First

Joel came home from school on Friday with a cabbage plant.  He asked if he and I could plant that as a "first".  "You bet'cha, buddy", says me! I've never planted cabbage with Joel so that is a "first." I was relieved that he did not want to cook and eat it.  I'm more of a spinach and mustard green guy when it cones to the leafy vegetable kind of food.



Out with the shovel and to work we go; OK, I know it looks like Joel is doing the work and that is a correct perception.  I'm working in more of a supervisory role here.  Picking out a spot to plant the cabbage was not easy.  We don't have a lot of "cabbage looking spots" in our yard.  Joel dug the hole and we tried to fill in around it with some rich dirt.  Into the ground and fill in the hole completes our process.





Part of me is pretty dubious about this cabbage planting expedition.  First of all, did we get a good plant?  Do we have it in good dirt? Is this the right time of  year to plant it?  We have it now so it's got to be the best time for this plant, methinks.  What about the weather?  We'll have to see how this cabbage fares.

It occurs to me that this is not the only planting I've done today.  I've had the marvelous privilege of planting God's word in some hearts today. I've preached twice today about the Holy Spirit's role in Jesus' life.  I know God's word is good seed.  I know He is a good farmer (John 15 pictures God as our farmer).  I know that God's word can produce a crop (spiritual results in our lives) that is far better than cabbage.  Well, a lot of things can bring a better crop than cabbage; watermelons, cantaloupes, peas, butter beans, corn, spinach, mustard greens, peanuts,  and I think you get the idea. 

God's word has the ability to produce love, joy, peace, deep loving relationships, purpose, and transformation to be like Christ to name a few.  Like the cabbage plant, the seed has to be cultivated. I must rely on the Holy Spirit to help me understand and obey God's word.  I must take God's word and meditate on it, obey it, and speak it. You have to admit that is better than having fertilizer put to you (do you know what they use for fertilizer?) and someone pouring Miracle Gro over your head.  The condition of my heart (soil) is the biggest factor. Is my heart the kind of "soil" that will yield a harvest of spiritual results? That's the question I have to ask myself.  As we start a new week, let's remember that God is scattering us all around to blossom and bring forth fruit.  As best I remember, cabbage is not a fruit.

Planting for the abundant life

Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. The story of Jesus' baptism
2. Tylenol
3. I don't have to farm with a shovel and hoe for a living



No comments:

Post a Comment