Thursday, February 20, 2014

Day 51- A Playground First

Today, I went to a local playground and put money on the playground equipment for kids to find. That was my "first."

I read where someone had done this so I decided this would be a fun "first."  It was not as easy as I had hoped.  The first playground I went to was being cleaned up by some men who live in local government housing (read inmates).  They were working hard and doing a good job. The problem was with them and a few families playing I could not figure out how to slyly hide money for people to find later.  I decided to go to a different playground.

I went to a different playground and that worked better. There was this one boy playing so I walked around and hid a little money on a bench.  He and his family left right after that.  I guess I creeped them out or something.  So, I went to the playground equipment and hid some money around it.  I wanted to take pictures of that, but my phone quit working about that time. I'm sure my dropping it had nothing to do with that.  It started working about 25 minutes later so the pictures are pretty lame today.

At McDonald's when my phone started working again




It would be fun to be there to see the children find the money.  It's not a lot (2 or 3 dollars worth hidden around the equipment) but it usually does not take a lot of money to excite a small child.  The joy of the surprise is often a pretty cool thing to watch. Two or three dollars is not that much for me but hopefully it will be fun for a child.

I thought about how many gifts God has left for us today.  They are just grace. We did not deserve them and many times did not even ask for them.  Yet, God gives them graciously.  I think of a sweet kiss from my wife, the ability to walk, a friend's smile, a pretty bird in the front yard, a child's laugh, a hot shower, lotion, a car that runs, and the list could keep going.  I can't build a car and I don't know how to make lotion.  These are gifts to me.  The Bible says that every good and perfect gift comes from above.  I want to live constantly amazed by grace.  I want to live stunned that God would lavish such gifts upon me.  That is so much better than living complaining and griping about things that I don't have.  It is a real joy to give thanks with a grateful heart.

Thanking God for the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Lotion
2. Garbage pick-up
3. The pecan pie that was left on my door step by a sweet sister in Christ for our family- I'm talking about a homemade delicious pecan pie.

OK, if you read yesterday's post, I confess I went by another store today looking for a small container of mint chocolate chip ice cream today. I can't get it out of my mind.  They did not have a small container, just a half a gallon. I know if I buy that, I'll eat the whole thing in just a couple of days.  What is this country coming to when a guy can't find a small container of mint chocolate chip ice cream?






No comments:

Post a Comment