Thursday, February 6, 2014

Day 37- We are a Winner First

Yesterday, we received in the mail on of those "you are already a winner" deals from a local car dealership. Joel sees this flyer and wants to be a winner.  I explain to him that this is a way to get people to come into the dealership in hopes they will purchase a car.  We probably are not very big "winners" because of this flyer we received in the mail.

Joel answers, "But we could be a big winner, right?"  I grudgingly answer, "Well, yes, we could be but probably not; maybe we'd win a Coke or something."  Joel answers back, "But it's possible right?" I reply, "Yes, Joel, it is possible, but not likely."

Joel then scans the prizes. The list included $25,000, I-Pad mini, and a flat screen TV.  I can see I'm losing this debate on whether we should actually try to see if we are indeed a big winner.  There is a card that resembles a credit card with a place to scratch off. If the number under there matches the number on the flyer, we are a guaranteed winner.  Joel scratches it off and guess what?  We are a guaranteed winner.  Will wonders never cease?

Joel thinks he's a winner


Cousin Maren anticipating the victory party since we are guaranteed winners


It occurs to me about this time that this could be a "first." I've actually never taken one of those mail out give away deals back to the dealership to see if I've won anything. So, today I did. I took the credit card looking thingie with the mail-out and went to the car dealership. I had to go within a half mile of it today anyway.

I take the credit card thing and the flyer and get out of the car. I'm met almost immediately by a very friendly young man who wants to help me.  Excellent-show me the $25 grand. That's actually what I thought not what I said.  I say something like, "My 9 year old boy saw the flyer that you mailed out to us (putting the responsibility for this visit on them) and thinks he's a winner.  So, I brought this in for him."  Why do I have to use Joel as an excuse for this?  Somehow me just doing this on my own seems a bit goofy.  This friendly young man wants to know if I've seen some of the new cars. I have not I explain, but really, I'm just here to see if my son won something.  Again, bringing Joel in seems to be necessary to me somehow.  So, he points out a nice looking vehicle in the distance on the way inside.

He takes my flyer and credit card thingie and asks me to wait. He comes back after just a few seconds and says that I have won a $5 Wal-Mart gift card.

Joel is a winner

Well, it's not a lot, but it's 5 dollars more than we had.  We want to use it wisely.  As of right now, the top runner for what we'll buy with it (according to Joel, Hannah Grace, and me) is ice cream.  Hey, that's a winner.  Free ice cream just for walking in and being a bit embarrassed to ask if I'm a winner (OK, I asked if Joel was a winner) is not a bad deal.

The Bible says in James 4, "You do not have because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures."  What is it that I'm asking God to do that He will do for His glory?  I heard one man say, "If God be your partner, make your plans large." God will do some things when we ask for His glory that He won't do otherwise. It's easy for me to forget and just sort of drift along with small thoughts and small dreams. It's also very easy for me to forget that prayer is more about getting God's will done on earth than it is getting what I want done. The thought that I might get to heaven and God show me some huge blessings that I missed out on because I did not ask is frightening.  So, let's ask a big God to do something in our lives that would cause people  to be stunned by Him.  And yea, and don't forget the ice cream!

Reminded to pray big prayers for the abundant life

Barry
3 things I thank God for today
1. Coffee cup that Hannah Grace gave me that has the word "Rejoice" written on it.
2. The privilege to teach on the Holy Spirit tonight at the Samford Extension class
3. The ability to hear

No comments:

Post a Comment