Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Day 182- A Poetical Tubing First

The family went tubing today with some extended family in North Carolina.  It was a blast.  We walked about a mile to the highest point this company allows you to tube from.  Just a little piece from where you enter the river, there is a place where you are most likely to turn over if you are going to turn over on this trip.  So, I let Laura and the children go first so I could keep an eye on them.  They navigated that first tricky fall pretty well. I wish I could report to you that I did as well.  Somehow, my tube went down and hit someone else's tube stuck at the bottom of the little fall.  I really need an instant replay to figure out what happened next.  What I do know is that my tube stayed up near the fall and I went down the river twisting and turning and trying unsuccessfully to stand up and act somewhat in control of the situation.  At one point I saw my feet against the backdrop of the sky. I finally managed to lodge myself on a rock (not before hitting numerous rocks with various body parts).  I waved to the people that had my tube and they sent it to me by another tuber (person tubing not a potato).  After that, I managed to negotiate the entire river several more times without incident.  My "first" could be getting flipped out of my tube while tubing.


Since it did not seem like a good idea to bring a camera tubing, I asked the family to give me a happy smile about tubing




 I also took a walk around Bryson City today; hey where's Uncle Jed and Ellie Mae?






Nothing like guns and ice cream


One of the floats down the river, I saw a young boy (about 7 years old) that got separated from his tube much to his Mom's dismay.  She then managed to lose her tube trying to help him. I came by about that time and decided to try to get the boy (much, much smaller than Mom) to safety.  He was floating along looking pretty scared and the current was too strong for him to stand up.  I told him to grab my hand which he willingly did. I was able to lift him up and put him in my tube with me.  I did wonder then what I was going to do with him.  Mom was back upstream with no tube floundering in the water.  Thankfully, I saw another family member or two with tubes where I was able to drop him off.  So, my "first" could be picking up another tuber and getting him to safety.

A family member suggested today that I write a haiku poem.  That is a poem with three lines; the first line has 5 syllables, the second 7 syllables, and the third has 5 syllables. So, for my "first" I will attempt to write a haiku poem about my tubing experience.  Here we go.

Boy floating frightened
Secure man able to reach
Son of God rescue me
 
1 Timothy 1:15- It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all.
 
 
Secured in the abundant life
Barry
 
3 things I thank God for today
1. Tubing with the family
2. Helpful strangers
3. Jesus saves sinners
 
Hannah Grace came up with a haiku that she wants me to put in my blog.  So, here it is compliments of Hannah Grace. She said to mention that she was hungry when she came up with this poem.
 
I want some pizza
Pizza is very yummy
Bring me some pizza

 


No comments:

Post a Comment