Monday, July 14, 2014

Day 195- A Barefoot First

I read a book recently about exercise. This guy had a unique argument about running.  Supposedly, there is a lot of research to back up his claim and I'm sure there are people who disagree that have research to back up their claim. His claim is that man is designed to run barefoot.  The multitude of injuries sustained by runners each year is due to the cushioned running shoes.  These (he claims) serve to weaken our running apparatus where if people ran barefoot or with minimal cushioned shoes, we would actually have less injuries.  His book has sparked a lot of debate and the result is a number of minimalist shoes on the market today.

I have no idea if cushioned shoes, minimalist shoes, or barefoot is the way to go.  When I did my walk today, I took my shoes off and did the last quarter of a mile barefoot for my "first."

It's been a long time since I walked that far barefoot. I was more than a bit worried that my feet would be too tender to handle it.  I did choose to walk on grass today.  The thing that surprised me about this was that it was actually easier on my feet if I jogged slowly (I don't have any other speed options for jogging at this point) than it was to walk.  That was kind of weird. It was surprising that I did not encounter many stickers.  When I was little, it seemed that when I went barefoot stickers were lurking in almost every place I put my foot. I still have no opinion if barefoot or minimalist shoes are better than the high-tech cushioned shoes or not, but it was kind of fun to take a barefoot spin for a change.

 Feet, don't fail me now




A family of feet




One thing the guy said was that if you run barefoot, your body will automatically change the mechanics of your running.  Where we tend to hit heel first with the cushioned shoes we are used to, when you run barefoot you will tend to hit mid-foot and sort of to the outside where injuries are less likely to occur.

Whether he is right or not, it did remind me that God made us to function a certain way.  When we don't live the way God designed us to live, there is going to be some hurt involved.  God did not design my mind to dwell on things like hatred, bitterness, or unforgiveness.  When I choose to let my mind dwell on those things, I will suffer for it.  It may not be so much that God is punishing me as that my mind and emotions are not designed to function that way.  The Bible says in Philippians 4:8, "Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things."

God built us to have relationships built on respect, love, kindness, and truth (amongst other things).  When we choose to relate to one another in dishonesty, rudeness, and selfishness, there will be some hurt that follows.  When we live our lives for money, career, or entertainment instead of God's glory, our lives will malfunction in some way.

So, let's keep our lives lined up with God's purposes.  When we miss it, let's confess and repent quickly and get back on track. You might even want to take your shoes off and feel the grass beneath your toes.

Seeking to stay lined up in the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. My feet
2. God has revealed His will in His Word
3. Shaving cream

No comments:

Post a Comment