Thursday, July 24, 2014

Day 205- A 10 First

Today, I made a list of 10 great things about each family member and then hid the list in their bed for my "first."

As I was in my office doing some studying, I prayed and asked the Lord what I could do for a "first."  I wasn't going anywhere and had a men's Bible study at the church tonight, so I knew my options were fairly limited geographically.  Just about 5 minutes after I prayed, the idea popped in my mind of making a list of 10 great things about each family member. I'm not real sure if that was the Lord or my brain, but it sure did not seem to have many drawbacks to the idea. I've left notes for them when they've come home from an out of town trip. I've left notes for them when I've went out of town.  I've never made a list of 10 great things and hid it for them while I was at home. It seemed like a fun idea.

It was fun for me to do. I did not agonize over each person's list and they are in no particular order. I just pulled up a blank copy on the computer and typed the first 10 things that came to mind. There are many more that I could have listed, but I just typed out the first ones that came to mind. 

When Joel asked me what my "first" was tonight, I told him it was still in process.  Laura then told the kids to go fix their beds for tonight.  She did not know what was going on, but Joel took off and then I heard him yell.  He said he thought there was going to be a paper in his bed from me.  I said no way, but he said he really did think I had hid something in his bed.  When Hannah Grace saw that, she ran and looked in her bed and was pretty excited about her sheet as well. Laura has not found hers yet and it's getting late, but I'm pretty sure she'll be happy.

Sorry the lists are sideways, I've tried numerous ways to make them right, but have not succeeded. They are right on my computer.






 





The world that we live in can be pretty negative.  People complain and gripe; sometimes at each other. There is plenty of bad news on TV.  There are plenty of potential heartaches to worry about.  There is just not a lot I can do about most of that. I can brighten someone's day. I can speak a positive word to someone.  I can let someone know I was thinking about them.  This "first" was really good for that.  It gave me the opportunity to think about the positive traits of my family.  Hopefully, it will be an encouragement for them as well.  The Bible says in Proverbs 16:24, "Pleasant words are a honeycomb, Sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  I want to be the kind of family man that speaks words of healing and joy to my family. I'm sure there will be many things my children will wished I had done better as a father, but they will have memories of me telling them I love them and am proud of them.

There are plenty of things to complain about today. You can probably find plenty of things in people's lives that you could point out where they need to do better.  Why not look for some good things to speak to people about.  Why not use your words to speak blessing into someone's life today.  God may use them to bring some emotional healing to someone.

Speaking (typing) for the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. My Sunday School teachers when I was small
2. God's words of love in the Bible
3. Reminders to repent

No comments:

Post a Comment