Thursday, July 31, 2014

Day 212- A Dog First

Today is National Chili Dog Day.  I celebrated this for my "first."

I have had chili dogs before.  I love chili dogs.  I have never celebrated National Chili Dog Day.  We talked about this as a family (Hannah Grace is at camp so she was not part of the discussion) and we agreed this may not be an outstanding "first," but not every day can be an outstanding day for a "first." I asked Laura to pick up a can of chili while she was in town today. When she got home from town, I asked her if she bought a can of chili. She said no. I asked her if she forgot and she said no.  Then, she told me that she was going to make some homemade chili.  Wow, what a champ!

Joel loves hot dogs.  He's never wanted to put chili on his hot dog before. Today, he went for the chili dog experience. I asked him afterwards about it. He said the chili dog was awesome. I sort of feel like I've not done my "Dad" thing very well seeing I have a 10 year old boy who's never tried a chili dog before. In my defense, I've offered it numerous times but he's always wanted to stick with a plain hot dog which he loves.

We decided to take the words "National Chili Dog Day" and see how many words we could make out of it while we ate. This added a little something to the celebration.  It was also pretty fun.  We ended up with 102 words that we made out of that phrase.  Joel wanted to count them and I was surprised it was that many.




No dogs for Laura





Our dog not a chili dog


As I thought about this tonight, I was grateful for Laura pitching in and celebrating this with us.  What is so cool about it is that she hates hot dogs.  I'm talking about she loathes hot dogs.  Laura was in the Peace Corps for 2 years and ate bugs, possums, and fish heads.  She will not eat a hot dog however.  It has to do with what hot dogs are made out of. Her contention is if people eat pig's feet and ears, what is there left to make hot dogs out of.  Yet, she cooked homemade chili for us to have for National Chili Dog Day.  She did not eat a chili dog. She ate chili instead.

As Christians, one of the things we want to do is to help each other become as much like Jesus as we can. That's one reason we are in the body of Christ.  The more we can help each other "succeed" in the Christian life, the more we all win. I put succeed in parentheses because succeeding is about glorifying God by loving God, loving each other, and helping others come to know Christ in a real way.  We win by helping others win. God has put us in each other's lives so that we can help each other to become everything God created us to be.  The Bible says it this way in Romans 12:10, "Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor."  Philippians 2:3-4 says, " Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others."

As you think about being a devoted follower of Jesus, don't forget that one way you grow is by helping someone else grow. Celebrate someone else's victories. Help someone else live the abundant life.  You might even buy them a chili dog as long as it is not Laura.

Rejoicing in the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Laura being such a wonderful helper
2. The forever family of God
3. Christ came to save sinners

No comments:

Post a Comment