Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Day 183- A Trout First

Today, Joel and I went fishing at a trout pond for my "first."  Afterwards, we hiked a mile and a half up a mountain to see a secluded waterfall.  Of course, we had to hike back down.

I heard about this trout pond from looking up attractions near Bryson City on the Internet. The idea of catching some rainbow trout with my son sounded fun.  Plus, they will clean them for you and you can take them home.  Of course, all of this comes at a price, but as a vacation fun day it was worth it for us.

We drive down a very scenic mountain dirt road to go to the trout pond.  The guys there gave us a couple of fishing rods, some worms (real not plastic), a pair of pliers, and a net. We walked across the road to the pond and it was beautiful plus you could see fish swimming everywhere.  Joel caught one on his first two casts and then it took me a couple of casts to catch one.  They were beautiful fish.  We caught a few more and decided that was enough. Joel said this was a lot of fun.  He sure acted like he was having a blast. 

When I called out to the pond to ask about fishing, I asked them if there was anything else to do there.  The nice guy first said no and then said, "Well, there is a private entrance to the National Forest and you can hike about a mile and a half to see a waterfall."  While they were cleaning the fish, I asked Joel if he wanted to do that.  Joel said, "Sure."  That is Joel speak for let's go.  The guys told us it would take a long time and it was a pretty steep climb.  They were right.  After a while, I began to wonder if Joel would be able to make.  After a longer while, I began to wonder if Barry would make it. At one point, Joel was pausing to wait for me to catch up.  Just about that time, we saw the waterfall.  Joel loved it. He said it was awesome and so worth the climb.  I was extremely happy about how happy Joel was about us hiking together.  Joel told me that this was his favorite "first" that I have done.  That made me very happy.

We did not expect a bear crossing sign at the pond



Joel has one!!


Beautiful scenery; you can see fish in the pond





One trying to get away but was unsuccessful due to Joel's efforts



Hiking trail

 
Waterfall at last!





I saw a good vine to teach Joel how to swing on; he's a fast learner and was much better than me

This first was a blast.  The hike concerned me a little bit. I was afraid that it might be too far for Joel and then he would be sad because we did not make it to the waterfall plus be very tired on the way down.  It was fun to see how excited he was about making to the waterfall and how much energy that gave him to walk down. He did not seem tired at all on the trek down.  Some things are just worth not quitting.  Seeking to become more like Jesus is just worth not quitting.  Looking for ways to show and tell others about the grace and love of Jesus is worth not quitting.  When someone you have been sharing with and praying for comes to a personal relationship with Christ, it will be so worth it.  That will give you more spiritual energy to show and tell more people about Jesus.  Take a look at those important things that are hard to do and remind yourself that whatever you do for Jesus is worth it.  C.T. Studd wrote, "Only one life will soon be past, only what's done for Christ will last."  1 Corinthians 15:58 says (New Living Translation), "So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless.

Not quitting in the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Rainbow trout
2. Waterfalls
3. Great memories with Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment