Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Day 197- A Picking First

I gave Laura a flower today for my "first."  Now, I did not buy the flower and I did not pick the flower.  I've done both of those things for Laura before so they would not qualify as a "first."  Today, I shot a flower out of a tree with my rifle for my "first."

We have this Magnolia tree in our backyard.  It is just starting to bloom.  While I was out walking not long ago I saw one of those pretty flowers and thought I could shoot it down and give it to Laura for a "first."  If you read the blog kind of regular like, you might remember a week or so back I mentioned I had failed at a "first" attempt.  This was it.  There was a Magnolia bloom right at the top of the tree (and it's tall for a Magnolia tree) and I could not shoot it out.  I did manage to break the branch it was on, but I could not get it down.

Today, I saw a lower flower blooming on the tree and decided to go for it again. It still was not easy; those big leaves are really good at hiding the thin branches that support the flower.  Finally, I shot one off.  Then, it hung up while falling down (it was 20-25 feet high).  Now what to do?  Joel and I remembered one of my most useful pieces of golfing equipment.  It's a long telescopic deal for retrieving golf balls from a pond.  We have found lots of uses for this at our house.  The main one probably would be retrieving toys from the roof. Today, it was used to get the flower down for Laura.  Joel wanted to do that part and so he did.

It was fun to give Laura a surprise flower.  She said she had never had someone shoot a flower out of a tree for her. Booyah (in the words of Si Robertson and my children), it's a "first" for her, too.  Plus, I get to give Laura a flower.  That's always fun.


Not actually the one I shot down, but it's pretty


Joel is the man for getting flowers out of trees







Happy, Happy, Happy

Any "first" that results in a kiss from my wife is a winner!  Those Magnolia flowers are beautiful (like my wife) and I thought Laura might enjoy one.  As I thought about that, I'm reminded that God put those flowers there to display His glory. Maybe it's been a long time since someone has given you a flower (I'd rather a fishing trip), but the next time you see one remind yourself that your Father gave that to you.  He is reminding you of His beauty and of His love for you. He is reminding you that He cares for you just like the flowers of the field. Jesus said in Matthew 6:28-30, " And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin,  yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith!"

God speaks clearest in His Word.  He also has the ability to speak through a flower of His care and love for you. Receive that love and let it draw your heart into worship today. 

Loving the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Kisses from my wife
2. Kisses from my daughter
3. Kisses from my son

No comments:

Post a Comment