Friday, July 4, 2014

Day 185- An Ancient First

We went to Bryson City today and walked around town.  We met a guy that I was hoping to meet.  I read on a  website about Bryson City attractions that there was a mountain man/storyteller. His place is called The Story Telling Center. I had found his place and called him but I did not think he would be there today.  Well, he was sitting outside working on a .52 caliber musket that was made in 1895.  He started telling us a bit about the mountains. He showed us his gun which was a .50 caliber black powder/musket looking outfit.  We were able to hear a story about him killing a black bear with that gun last hunting season.  I'm so glad we were able meet this guy.  He told us that the mountaineering ways were dying out and he was trying to keep them alive. 

Tonight, we went to an Indian Pow Wow in Cherokee, NC.  Talking to a mountain man/storyteller and going to an Indian Pow Wow were my "firsts." It's a double today.  I have never been to an Indian Pow Wow before.  It was kind of like a hockey match or opera for me. It seemed like they were doing some cool things but I did not really understand what exactly.  There was a lot of dancing and some super-cool looking outfits.  There was also a lot of singing. I guess they were singing in Native American language because I did not understand any of it.  The songs had a lot of high pitched shrieking kind of sounds.  We also enjoyed seeing some crafts and eating fry bread (it was called fry bread, not fried bread) with cinnamon and sugar on it. After dark, they had a magnificent fireworks display that we watched. On this 4th of July, I enjoyed two ancient treats; mountain man storytelling and a pow wow.


   Joel and the mountain man; he let Joel hold his bear killing gun. I did not realize you could see Hannah Grace in the reflection

Indian pow wow






This guy had a pierced ear that had to hurt



These were fun and different ways of spending the 4th of July.  I thought about these two different ancient traditions. As a follower of Jesus, I try to follow something that is ancient and yet very relevant and practical for today.  The teachings of Jesus are older than mountain men.  His words were spoken very long ago.  There are people today who try to change His teachings (and the teachings of the New Testament) to mean something it is pretty clear they were never intended to mean.  I believe it is not the teachings that need to be changed. I need to be changed by Jesus and His teachings through the Holy Spirit.  The Bible says in Isaiah 40:8, "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever." 

When I think about God's word, it seems to me that life would be much simpler and happier if mankind would truly follow it. There would be a world with no stealing, adultery, or murder.  That would be pretty cool with just that.  Mix in a heavy dose of love, peace, and forgiveness and you have something going on.  It is very relevant. With so much marriage turmoil in so many homes, it might be time to really heed the Bible when it tells husbands to love their wives as themselves and for wives to respect their husbands.  That would probably help many a home.

I probably won't become a mountain man or prescribed to a Native American way of life though they were both fun to observe today.  I will keep seeking to follow the ancient words of Jesus.

Glad for the true abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Freedoms of living in the United States
2. Patrick Henry
3. Chocolate dipped Oreo cookies (yes, from the fancy chocolate shoppe if you read yesterday's blog)



















No comments:

Post a Comment