Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Day 204- A Requested First

Today, I was requested by my children to do a "first" with them.  Hannah Grace wanted me to let her get a streak of color in her hair and Joel wanted me to let him set some ant hills on fire.  Today is national hot dog day and I did plan on celebrating that for my "first."  Instead, I let Hannah Grace have a streak of color put in her hair and Joel set some ant hills on fire for my "first."

This was a very fun "first" for the children which made it very fun for me.  Hannah Grace was absolutely thrilled to have her hair color in.  I even let her and the cosmetologist pick the color without me or her Mom. We trust the cosmetologist!  It turned out very pretty.  The cosmetologist even braided it for her so the color would be in a twist like fashion. Hannah Grace was so excited about it she wanted to go to church early.

Joel loved setting ant hills on fire.  I knew when I did that for a "first" last week that he would want to do that.  He has; everyday.  I've been reminded everyday that he wanted to do that.  Today was the day.  Joel got two ant hills but he did suffer a few bites.  The ants scored a point or two in retaliation.  Joel got so interested in the fire that he did not realize that he was standing a bit too close to the ant hill. It just made him more determined to kill the ants.




 







One of the fun parts of this "first" was doing them with the children.  Seeing their excitement was exciting to me and was much more fun that celebrating hot dog day.  I really do like hot dogs. As we were doing these "firsts" today, I was reminded that God has made us for relationships. We are just not complete with a loving relationships with God first, but then also with a few other people as well. You sure can't please everybody and it would be a mess to try to build friendships based on trying to be what someone else wants you to be. When you find a few people who love God and who love you and accept you as you are, you have found a treasure.  God has made us where we can help each other grow in our faith.  We can celebrate joys together and share sorrows together.  Sometimes we experience God's love through other people who reach out to us. We can help each other withstand temptation.  Ecclesiastes 4:12 says, "And if one can overpower him who is alone, two can resist him. A cord of three strands is not quickly torn apart."

I truly believe that a huge part of the abundant life is being in a healthy relationship with God and a few other people who love you and you love them back.  Look for someone to spend some time with tomorrow.  You might even end up setting an ant hill on fire or getting a color streak put in your hair.

Enjoying others in the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Electricity
2. Toast
3. Socks




No comments:

Post a Comment