Saturday, July 19, 2014

Day 200- A Kale First

Today I ate kale as my "first."

A while back I came across an article that touted kale as one of the healthiest foods on the planet. I did not know what kale was so I was pretty sure I had not eaten any.  I put that on my list of things to do for "firsts" this year.  When I was at the grocery store yesterday, I saw one of those cartons of salad stuff that they sell and this one included kale.  I picked it up and had my "first."

WebMD says this about kale, "Kale, also known as borecole, is one of the healthiest vegetables on the planet.What makes kale so exceptional? Here is why it's a superstar vegetable. One cup of chopped kale contains 33 calories and 9% of the daily value of calcium, 206% of vitamin A, 134% of vitamin C, and a whopping 684% of vitamin K. It is also a good source of minerals copper, potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus. Kale’s health benefits are primarily linked to the high concentration and excellent source of antioxidant vitamins A, C, and K -- and sulphur-containing phytonutrients. Carotenoids and flavonoids are the specific types of antioxidants associated with many of the anti-cancer health benefits. Kale is also rich in the eye-health promoting lutein and zeaxanthin compounds. Beyond antioxidants, the fiber content of cruciferous kale binds bile acids and helps lower blood cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease, especially when kale is cooked instead of raw."
 
Who knew?  I guess the people at WebMD. I've been worried about the binding of my bile acids. That sentence kind of makes me lose my appetite (for about 12 seconds). I tried eating some of it raw and it tastes kind of like spinach (I like spinach). It was much better with some salad dressing, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, etc.  Maybe I should be eating more kale.  It sure sounds like a good idea.  Today, it tasted really good because I ate it right after my walk when I was hungry.  Yes, I feel much healthier now.
 

OK


Much better

 
Maybe the cat or dog would like a bite


Maybe these plants are healthy 

 I remember Euell Gibbons saying years ago that parts of a pine tree are edible. I think I will stick with the kale and spinach; possibly some chocolate
 
The kale experiment went well.  I also had watermelon which was much better and also pretty healthy.  This reminded me that I need to be open to all that God says in His word and not just the parts I like.  I overheard a conversation one time where a person said they liked to read the parts of the Bible about God's love and skip the other parts.  That is very dangerous.  The Bible says in 2 Timothy 3:16, "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness."  God has revealed Himself in His word and it is very unhealthy to ignore parts of it simply because it makes me uncomfortable.  Eating kale and exercising kind of makes me uncomfortable but if that will help me not get cancer, it will be well worth it.  Parts of God's word may make us uncomfortable, but it may save us from some disastrous lifestyle choices and consequences.  All of Bible comes from God.  We would do well to pay close attention to it.  When we trust God and His word enough to obey it, I believe we will be glad we did 10,000 years from now.  Don't forget, He wrote it because He loves you and wants you to know Him. 
 
Eating up the abundant life
Barry
 
3 things I thank God for today
1. Kale
2. My family is coming home from visiting friends in Ms.
3. God has given us so much variety in the foods we can eat

No comments:

Post a Comment