Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Day 203- A Card First

Today, Laura taught me how to play a card game called rummy for my "first."

I don't like card games. Board games are not particularly fun to me either.  Early in our dating relationship, Laura asked me if I liked to play games. I said I loved to play games. She said great because her and her friends/family loved to play games. Then, I asked her what she wanted to play; volleyball, basketball, or maybe some slow-pitch softball?  She was thinking something like Monopoly, Yahtzee, or Clue.  We were on different game wave lengths.

She offered to teach me how to play rummy for a "first."  I agreed.  She said there were many different kinds of rummy that can be played.  She's not sure what version we played.  Anyway, she was the dealer. Joel and I were the other players.  We played a few hands of rummy tonight. I did not win. Did I mention that I did not like card games?  It was interesting to me that Laura was the dealer and she won the most hands. I do think I came in second every time. There is no evidence to back that claim up, but it makes me feel better to think that.

It was pretty fun. OK, hanging out with Laura and Joel was pretty fun. It's been a long time since I've played a card game. It will probably be a pretty long time before I play another one.  I did enjoy playing footsies with Laura under the table.  In the interest of full disclosure, she started it.  That was the best part of the game.











 Don't let that smile fool you


I had fun with the family, but I'm not a big fan of cards.  If you had a petition to ban poker from ESPN, I would sign it.  Here's what I thought about tonight.  It's hard to get someone to do something they don't enjoy or love.  If a person does not love the Lord Jesus, it's hard to for them to do things like attend church, pray, worship, share their faith, or study God's word consistently and with joy.  If you love God, then there will be some joy in the things that help draw you closer to the God you love.  Sure, there may be times of dryness and difficulties where the joy is not as great as at other times.  The heart of our relationship with God is built on love and trust.  The Bible says in 1 Corinthians 16:22, "If anyone does not love the Lord, he is to be accursed." 

If we find ourselves shying away from God's people and the things that God has designed, let's be honest and ask ourselves if we truly love God.  If we love God, there should be some attraction to the things that God has designed to draw us closer to Him.  I desire that my love for God be real and genuine, not just something that I simply talk about.  What could be better than loving God?  So, I might not look forward to cards, but doing things that help me love God should be in the cards for me.

Loving the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Beauty
2. Woodpeckers
3. Glasses


No comments:

Post a Comment