Saturday, April 12, 2014

Day 102- A Dating First

Tonight I took Hannah Grace on a Daddy/daughter date for my "first."

This is a bit of a cheat today. I've taken Hannah Grace on daddy/daughter dates before.  It has been a while since we have done this.  Tonight there was an event we could have went to but Hannah Grace said she would rather just she and I go somewhere together.  Going out with my 12 year old because she wanted to do that just has a different feel to it than when she was younger.  These days she is a great conversationalist and is growing into a young lady.  I'm going to count this as a "first" even though I'm pushing it a bit to be a real "first."

My beautiful and fun date

We both made happy plates

 Rio 2 was fun to see with Hannah Grace

We decided on supper and a movie.  I let her pick from several options what we would do. If I did not limit the options, we would probably be driving to Disneyworld. She was really sweet and wanted to know what I wanted to eat and see.  We settled on a restaurant where we could sit down and she could have a grilled cheese and fries. I even let Hannah Grace have one of her favorite desserts; a packet of sugar. That's right, there was free ice cream but she said she was not in a "coldie" mood. She wanted a packet of sugar instead.  Why not, let's live large! We went and watched Rio 2.  Hannah Grace's favorite character was the pink frog. She said the pink frog was awesome.

This was a really fun "first."  When Hannah Grace said she wanted to do something different, my "first" thinking kicked in.  We bounced several ideas around and this is what she decided she wanted.  I enjoyed hearing her talk about her friends and school. It's been a while since she and I had this much time to talk just with the two of us.  I'm glad I did this because I have felt like for a while I needed to start making time to spend with each of the kids by myself and this was confirmation of that tonight. I make time for Laura and I make time for the kids but it is harder to get each child one on one. You can learn so much more and deepen the relationship so much faster when you are one on one with someone.

It is also important to be one on one with Jesus.  If the only time we spend with the Lord is at church, we will not develop a very deep relationship with Him.  Even the Lord Jesus spend time alone with His Heavenly Father. We see that in Mark 1:35-In the early morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house, and went away to a secluded place, and was praying there.  If Jesus desired this and needed this, it makes sense that we do even more.  It is such a privilege and treat to get time alone with my wife or one of my children. Wow, the King of the universe offers to spend alone time with me everyday.  Let's take Him up on it!

Needing alone time for the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. A wife who'll scratch my back willingly
2. Date night with Hannah Grace
3. God offers to spend alone time with me

No comments:

Post a Comment