Friday, April 4, 2014

Day 94- A Pizza Praying First

Laura is at one of those ladies for Jesus kind of conferences today.  I get to hang out with Hannah Grace and Joel by myself. We decided to do a pizza and movie night at home.  We went to town to get a movie and pizza. It is not an easy task to get the three of us to decide on one movie to watch.  That's worth praying for right there. I'm grateful that Hannah Grace and Joel never got aggravated or irritated in the process because the movie tastes are much different.  We were also talking about what I would do for a "first."


We ordered the pizza to go.  When we went in to pick up the pizza, we were the only customers there and the sweet young lady said it would be a few minutes until our order was ready.  An idea for a "first" hit me.  I am not normally the "strike up a conversation with people I don't know very well" kind of person.  This is where the "year of firsts" is helping me. I said to the young lady, "We are going to pray and thank God for our pizza when we get home. Is there anything we could pray for you?"  She thought about it for a few minutes and then shared a prayer request with us. It was pretty cool.

I often ask waiters and waitresses if they would like for me to pray for them.  I don't think I've done that on a take-out order. So, asking a lady if I can pray for her on a take-out order was my "first" for today. It was really cool to be able to do that with Hannah Grace and Joel there.

Thankful for meat lovers pizza

Hannah Grace is thankful for cheesy sticks

Somehow, this particular photographer I use usually manages to get a selfie in

Movie night

 
This was a cool "first."  When the sweet young lady told us her prayer request, she and Hannah Grace realized that they've seen each other at school. They had a friendly conversation and laughed a bit with each other. The young lady had visited our church several years ago.  We ended up have a delightful conversation with her as well as learning something that we can pray for her. We did when we thanked God for our food.
 
I was reminded that if we'll just step out a little, God will often open a door for us to speak a word about Him. It was not a big deal.  It was better than me sitting at a table and glancing at my phone to see if I had any messages or deleting a few if I did not.  I love it when I can have some sort of a conversation about Jesus in front of my children. So many people seem to be (and are) afraid to say anything about Jesus. I think one reason is that they just have never seen anyone else do that very much.  If you never see or hear someone do something, it will seem odd to you. What's odd is that someone could be raised in a "Christian" home and never hear anyone talk about Jesus with someone outside the family. That's normal for a lot of people, but if you think about it that's really odd.  What else is there in our lives that we claim to love with all of our hearts and yet we never talk about it. I know a lot of people around here love college football.  In the last week or two, I've heard people shout out "Roll Tide" and "War Eagle" to people they barely knew. Pretty often people ask me if I'm an Alabama or Auburn fan.  Of course, I know I'm about to be disappointed in me a bit, because I'm neither. Very seldom has anyone tried to talk to me about Jesus. Lots of people ask me if I like to hunt or fish.  I love to do both (that's pertinent information if you have a pond stocked with big bass).  People are not hesitant to talk about college sports or hobbies and I'm not either. In fact, I love to talk about sports and hobbies (unless you want to talk about a game that my team lost; then it's not so much fun). Doesn't it seem strange when people claim to love Jesus more than anything but hardly ever mention His name?  Why not try to say the name "Jesus" to someone tomorrow!
 
Talking up the abundant life
Barry
 
3 things I thank God for today
1. Jesus conferences for ladies
2. A wife who wants to go to Jesus conferences for ladies
3. John 15:11- These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.


No comments:

Post a Comment