Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Day 112- A Blue Moon First

I was in Dothan today visiting some sweet people in a hospital there. Lunch time rolled around and I almost made a run for the border (Taco Bell). It was close and easy.  I remembered I needed a "first" so I hit the Urban Spoon app that I have on my phone.  Some interesting suggestions came up for restaurants that I had never been to before.  One was the Blue Moon Cafe and it was only 2 miles away. The little description said it was sandwiches and Cajun cuisine. Now, we are on to something. I clicked on the menu (I really like it when I can see the menu from my phone) and saw items such as "Shrimp Po-boy, Catfish Po-boy, Red Beans and Rice, and Corn and Crawfish Chowder. I went to the Blue Moon Cafe for my "first."

One of the reasons I went there is because I've been trying to find a Po-boy place near where I live that serves a Louisiana style Po-boy.  So far, I have not found it. Throwing some shrimp on a piece of bread does not make a Po-boy.  This was a key factor in my search.

When I pulled up in front of the restaurant, I was impressed.  It kind of looked like something you might find in south La.  When I walked in, I was impressed more.  It was a smallish place that had the feel of a place that had good food.  They were out of the corn and shrimp chowder which was a bummer. They had a lunch special where you could get a half poboy and a cup of soup.  So, I ordered a shrimp Po-boy(fried, of course) and a cup of red beans and rice. I know that is technically not a soup, but if you can put it in a bowl, that counts for a soup in La.

I like the look



 
Nice wall mural

Looks good

I enjoyed my meal.  They put a lot of shrimp on my Po-boy (which is essential) and the shrimp was good.  I would eat here again.  Was it a Louisiana style Po-boy?  Not quite.  It was better than most. They put cole slaw and remoulade sauce on the Po-boy which was a bit odd.  Here's the thing: a real Po-boy has to drip when you eat it.  If it's real good, it will run down your wrist to your elbow.  You need half a roll of paper towels to eat a real good Po-boy.  I liked it, but it was not quite there.

As I enjoyed my meal, I thought about how something can look like the real deal and not quite be there.  As followers of Jesus, we should be dripping.  There should be love running out of us.  Jesus said in John 13: 34-35, "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."  That's the real deal of a follower of Jesus.  Anyone can attend religious services. Most people pray at some point in their life.  Many people will read a religous book.  How many people genuinely love the people around them; especially those that are not like them.  That is what Jesus did and what we are called to do.  Priase God, He's given us the Holy Spirit and the fruit of the Spirit is love (amongst other things).  So, have you dripped some Jesus love on someone today?

Hopefully dripping for the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Po-boys
2. The color blue
3. Kind nurses

No comments:

Post a Comment