Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Day 120- A Lipstick First

Today I had a lipstick "first."  I wore lipstick to church.

OK, so I didn't.  You never know, I might.  It'd be kind of a poor reason to come to church, but go ahead and come if you'd like and maybe something better than that will happen.  I would certainly hope so.

A lipstick idea did come to me.  I wrote a love note to Laura on her mirror with her lipstick for my "first."  I've left love notes for her before. I've emailed and texted love notes.  I've left them in different places around the house.  It occurred to me this afternoon (not too long after I prayed for a "first" idea which I took as a good sign) that I had never written her a love note on her mirror with her lipstick.  That sounded like a good "first."  Joel liked the idea a lot as well.

I was a little more than half way through when I had to roll the lipstick up some more. I then realized I was using a good bit of lipstick on this project.  How much does lipstick cost?  Is this, like, a favorite tube of lipstick?  Does she have to go out of town to get this particular brand? How hard will this be to get off the mirror? These are some of the questions that started rolling around in my brain.  Surely, I haven't messed up here. The idea is to brighten up her day; not bumming her out because I ruined her lipstick or the mirror.


 
 
I found out it's hard to take a picture of something in a mirror without being in the picture





Yay, she liked it.  She said that the lipstick I found was a backup tube.  Yay, again.  She gave me a hug and a kiss and her eyes were twinkling. I say to Laura often, "Thanks for saying yes."  I'm so glad that out of all the people in the world, God let me be her husband.  I love her dearly.  She is a fun person to share life with. She's romantic, funny, adventurous, and I can't imagine coming up something that I think Jesus wants us to do that she would not be up for. I want her to know she's loved and appreciated and her husband delights in her.

It should be even truer for the Lord.  He loves me more than anyone can.  He is the real delight to live with. He has done things for us that nobody else could if they wanted to.  The amazing thing is that the more we love Him, the more love we have for others.

I read the following quote a while back, "There is no such thing as gratitude unexpressed. If it is unexpressed, it is plain, old-fashioned ingratitude."  It occurs to me that love is kind of the same way.  Love unexpressed is kind of useless.  I'm glad that God not only tells us that He loves us but He shows us He does.  Romans 5:8 declares, "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."  You may remember that John 3:16 reminds us that God so loved the world that He did what?  That's right, He gave.  That's an action word.  Love is an action word.  Praise God for His love expressed.  Maybe there is someone that you can express your love to today.  Maybe there is a way that you can express God's love to someone today.

Loving the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Lipstick
2. Mirrors
3. A fun time playing Wii with Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment