Monday, April 14, 2014

Day 104- A Shield of Faith

I'm reading a book titled "Believing God" by Beth Moore. It's a book about faith.  Since I scored low on faith on my spiritual gifts inventory last week maybe this is a book worth reading for me. 

Beth said that one habit that she has developed to help her raise her shield of faith is to say 5 statements each day. They are:
  1. God is who He says He is
  2. God can do what He says He can do
  3. I am who God says I am
  4. I can do all things in Christ
  5. God's word is alive and active in me.
The challenge is to say those statements numerous times throughout the day.  Beth says that it is best to say them out loud.  I would agree with her on that.  There is something about declaring God's truth out loud that is powerful.  Beth writes, "I practice this exercise in my house by myself, on walks with my dogs, in my car, at work with my staff, and anywhere else I can get away with it. As I make each statement, I can literally feel supernatural strength building within me."

For my "first" today, I spoke Beth's shield of faith statements numerous times throughout the day. I even put them on the screen on my phone.



The warrior raises his shield


You think  you can defeat me when I stand on God's word?? That's funny!

Faith in God's word is the true shield

Ephesians 6:16 says, "in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one." Satan loves to try to cast doubt on God's word.  His first words in the Bible are "Indeed has God said."  He loves to attack God's character and our standing with God. That's why the shield of faith is so important.  We must believe God and not the devil's lies if we are to be strong in the Lord.

Typically when I read a book I'll read something like Beth's statements and just sort of keep reading. When I read that last night my mind shouted "First, there's a first."  It seemed like a really good one so I woke up today and actually remembered this within an hour of waking up. That's a good start.  Then I put them on my phone and starting saying them.  They are not as hard to remember as I thought they might be.  The first two start with God and the next two with me.  They are very similar in nature. The statements are based in Biblical truth.

I did find quoting these statements to be encouraging.  It brought my focus back to the Lord several times during the day.  A couple of times I managed to quote them at the beginning of a potentially stressful situation and found this to be very helpful.  Beth recommends doing this for a number of weeks which is probably a very good idea.  Doing this for one day is not likely to be a huge help.

There might be some who would say something like this is unnecessary and overboard. For sure, the Bible does not say to quote these 5 statements.  I like what Beth wrote in the book, "Anytime someone makes fun of me or tells me I’m too radical and demonstrative for them, I have the same thought: “Beloved, I was once the most bound-up, defeated believer you’ve ever met, and now I’m a walking miracle experiencing the power of God. With all due respect, how’s life going for you?” Sometimes God demands radical measures when He wants to bring about radical results. I may look silly, but to the glory of God alone,something’s working. This woman should have been a lost cause."  Amen, sister!

Believing God for the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Beth Moore's book "Believing God"
2. The ladies in our church that just finished a Beth Moore study on the book of James
3. My taxes are done


No comments:

Post a Comment