Saturday, May 10, 2014

Day 130- Squirrely First

I was fixing my lunch today and I looked out the kitchen window into the back yard.  I saw a squirrel and I noticed he had something white in his little paws.  That struck me as odd so I looked closer.  This means I squinted.  You can see further if you squint.  The squirrel started eating the white thing.  I couldn't quite make it out, so I squinted a bit harder.  It sure looked like the squirrel was eating a mushroom (toadstool for some of you).  I've never heard of a  squirrel eating a mushroom.  So, I went and got my rifle and looked at the squirrel through the scope.  That's even better than squinting. Sure enough, that silly squirrel was eating a mushroom.  I watched a squirrel eat a mushroom for my "first."

What is up with that?  Do squirrels do that?  Is there a famine of squirrel food in my yard?  Do I have a squirrel junkie? He did look awfully happy eating that mushroom. Do I need to start an outreach to squirrels with a mushroom addiction?  These are all questions I pondered as I watched this scene play out in my back yard.  I also wondered if anyone would believe me.  It was not possible to get a picture with my cell phone.

Proof; this is where the mushroom was

What I had for lunch

Maybe I should throw some things out for the squirrels

One bite of a Reese's and he'll stop the mushrooms



Don't let that innocent look fool you



It just seems to me that squirrels would be better off eating acorns, pine cones, and things like that.  What would attract this squirrel to fungus?  That is just not right.  So, I googled it and found that indeed squirrels do eat mushrooms.  There is even a YouTube video of a squirrel eating a mushroom.  That is just something I did not know and had never seen.  Since I had not seen it, I did not really believe it. After this morning, even if I had not found evidence on the Internet that squirrels do eat mushrooms, I still would have believed it. I saw it.  You could not have talked me out of it. 

As followers of Jesus, we have had some things happen to us that non-believers may not understand or believe, but we know it because we experienced it. If you have experienced the cleansing of  your sins by Jesus, nobody can talk you out of that. If you have experienced God pouring His love into your heart, nobody is going to be able to tell you that His love is not real.  If God has set you free from an addiction, healed you of something, given you a burden for a group of people, or something like that, nobody can convince you otherwise.  When God does something in your life, you know it is real because it has happened to you.

There is a lot of debate today about God, the Bible, Jesus, and Christianity in general.  Many are saying that God is not real, Jesus did not rise from the dead, and the Bible is not true. It seems that the faith of too many are shaken by some of these arguments.  Here's the thing; a person with a testimony will win against a person with an argument.  If someone says that God is not real and can't help people but you can say He delivered you from drugs, alcohol, anger, a filthy mouth, greed, racism, or something like that, then the person with the argument has a hard time arguing against your personal experience.  Go after God and submit to Him and trust Him to do something powerful in your life that nobody's argument can shake.  It is good to study and find the good reasons for faith.  It is even better to have a testimony of what God has done in your life.

Testifying for the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Free Wi-Fi at McDonalds (so I don't have to do this on my phone again- still no Internet at the house)
2. God is a rock
3. God is active in our world today

No comments:

Post a Comment