Sunday, May 18, 2014

Day 138- A Backpack First

Today, I hid notes in my children's backpacks for my "first."

It occurred to me today that I've never put a note in my children's backpacks before. I have left notes on their beds and on the table for them, but somehow never in their backpacks.  So, I wrote both of them a note and hid them so they will find them at school tomorrow. This is a bit trickier than it seems.  I don't want them to discover the notes before they leave. If they happen to want to put something in there in the morning and discover the notes, the thrill of it sort of leaks out.  If I hide them so well they don't find them at all then it is a bust.  Laura is my accomplice on this one.  She will be watching closely in the morning to make sure they don't go in their backpack for some reason.  We tried to make sure the backpacks are all packed tonight after they went to bed.  In fact, I put Hannah Grace's in her lunch box.  She usually either packs her lunch or we help her, but tomorrow we have it all packed for her.

The notes were not long. I just wrote how proud I am of their school year. The fact that I love them made an appearance in the notes.  I also included Philippians 4:13 which says, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Joel's note and backpack



 Hannah Grace's lunch box
 

This was a fun "first."  I am looking forward to the children getting home tomorrow and see what kind of reaction they had to this. Of course, when you do something for your children, you have to do it out of love and trust God for the results because children do not always react like you hope.  The notes may encourage them and brighten their day like I hope. There is always the possibility that the notes will embarrass one or both of them.  Parenthood is not for those who get their feelings hurt easily.

Regardless of their reaction, this is a "first" I'll be glad I did. I want them to know they are loved and to remind them of that often. It's also one of those things that I may not have done without doing the year of "firsts" and one that I'm surprised I've not done before now.  I've thought of it and heard of it and intended to do it.  My year of "firsts" has really been good for helping me to do some things that I want to do but just needed a reason to do.

Maybe there is someone you might want to send a love or thank you note to.  Your family is an easy one. A couple of years ago I sent a thank you note to one of my Sunday School teachers.  He wrote me back and it was truly a high point of that year.  Pray and see if you might want to send a note to someone.

Thanking God for the joys of the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Notes I've received through the years.
2. New life in Christ
3. The old man is dead- 2 Corinthians 5:17- Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

No comments:

Post a Comment