Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Day 148- A Gas Pump First

Today, I left money at the gas pump for someone to find as my "first."

The Internet and phone service is out at our house and church today.  So, I was in town and the thought hit me that if our service does not get fixed today, I'm going to have a hard time posting a "first."  The idea of driving to town after church tonight and posting is not appealing.  Posting using my phone does not sound like a whole lot of fun either. One of those will happen if the phone/Internet service does not get fixed today if I am going to post a "first." With these thoughts swirling in my head while I'm at the gas pumps, I think/pray/wonder about what my "first" will be.  As I look at the gas pump and the little credit card slot, it hit me that I could leave some money right there.  I wrote a note that said "Jesus loves you" and wrapped it around a dollar and left it there.  It's not a huge "first."  At the same time, there does not seem to be any big drawbacks to it.  Hopefully, someone will be reminded of Jesus' love and smile.









When I started writing this, I realized that one dollar was pretty cheap.  I also messed up on the writing and had to scratch out.  I wish I had done this a bit better.  Here's the thing; many things we do for Jesus and others will not be perfect. I did not have any more paper in the truck that I could find so it was use this scratched out piece or not do it. I could have left more money, but it just did not occur to me to leave more than a dollar.  While I wish I had done this better, I'm still glad I did it.  God can use imperfect acts of service.  I know people who struggle when they do something for the Lord and it's not perfect.  Well, we'd all just have to quit if it has to be perfect.  I guess every sermon I've preached, I wish it had went better.  I could have said something better or given a better illustration. I'll  never preach again if it has to be perfect.  Sometimes when I do a "first" it doesn't go as well as I had hoped. Sometimes when I do something for my family, it does not turn out as well as I had hoped. I don't want to let the prospect of "less than perfect" deter me from trying.  Jesus was and is the only perfect one.  I heard a guy say one time if he was going to fall, he wanted to fall going forward and not backward. That sounds something like Paul's words in Philippians 3:13-14 when we wrote, "Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

No, you and I are not perfect. However, if you are married, you are the best spouse your spouse has.  If you have children, you are the best mother/father your child has.  If you teach a Bible Study, you are the best Bible study teacher your class has.  Press on hard toward Jesus. When you mess up, confess it, repent, and  trust God to restore you. Then, get up and get moving.  You will be blessed and probably someone else will along the way. 

Stumbling along in the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Clouds
2. The blood of Jesus that washes our sins away
3. Youth camps




No comments:

Post a Comment