Thursday, October 2, 2014

Day 275- A Car Naming First

Today is National Name Your Car Day.  My family and I named our cars for my "first."

I've named cars before but it's been longer than 20 years and I've never done this as a family project.  When I was in college, I had a 1974 Monte Carlo that I named the Baron.  My roommate had a green Chevrolet Malibu (as best as I remember; I could be wrong) that he named the Green Hornet.  So, I've named a car or two through years. 

There were strong opinions in the family about what name to give our vehicles.  I asked each person to come up with one name for each.  We have a blue Hyundai Elantra and a green Hyundai Sante Fe (SUV).  Here are the nominations (see if you can match the  nomination with the person that nominated that name).

For the Elantra:
Bluesy
Jonah
The Blue Dart
Thunder

For the Santa Fe:
Grayson
Holy Roller
Bob
Lean, Green, Fighting Machine

Then, each family member voted for a name but you could not vote for your own nomination.  This was to prevent a 4 ways tie with each person voting for their own nomination.  The Santa Fe had a winner on the first ballot. The winner was- Holy Roller.

There was a tie for the Elantra.  Each name received one vote.  We cast ballots again only this time you could vote for your own name.  The winner was The Blue Dart.

For those of you keeping score at home, here's who nominated the names:
For the Elantra:
Bluesy-Joel
Jonah-Laura
The Blue Dart-Barry
Thunder-Hannah Grace

For the Santa Fe:
Grayson-Laura
Holy Roller-Barry
Bob-Hannah Grace
Lean, Green, Fighting Machine-Joel

It looks like Barry was the big winner tonight. It was close, but Joel voted with me on the Blue Dart to carry the runoff election.  A word of explanation may be in order.  Hannah Grace has called her fists Thunder and Bob for some reason.  Laura chose Jonah because that's a combination of Joel and Hannah-mashing the kids' first names together. Grayson is Grace and Jackson mashed together; the kids' middle names.  She went the sentimental route which was sweet, but lost in the end.  We did this just before bedtime so I have no good pictures tonight- just a few old shots that have our cars in them somewhere.







 


Here's what I thought about as we did this tonight.  God has given us names as believers.  There are things that He's called us in the Bible.  Here are a few of them (from a study done by Neil Anderson):
I am God’s Child. (John 1:12)
I am Christ’s friend. (John 15:15)
I am a member of Christ’s body. (1 Cor 12:27)
I am a citizen of Heaven. (Phil 3:20).
I am the salt of the earth and light of the world. (Mat 5:13-14)
I am a branch of the True Vine, and a channel of His life. (John 15:5)
I am God’s temple. (1Cor 3:16)
I am God’s co-worker. (1Cor 5:20)
I am God’s workmanship. (Eph 2:10)
I am a minister of reconciliation. (2 Cor 5:17-21)
I am a saint, a holy one. (Eph 2:19)
I am an ambassador for Christ. (2 Cor 5:20)

Part of what the Christian life is about is living out what God calls us.  God has called us His child. We now need to live that out.  God's Spirit is in us to help us, but we still need to choose to live that way.  God has called us His workmanship.  We should live like we are His workmanship. We are; we just need to live out what God has made us.   If you are a follower of Jesus, you not junk, trash, and you are certainly not a nobody.  You are connected to the ultimate Somebody and that gives you reason to live well.

God truly desires a close relationship with each of us. Perhaps you have people as I do that you call by a special name.  That name is just for the two of you. God is going to do that for you one day.  In Revelation 2:17 says, "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, to him I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, and a new name written on the stone which no one knows but he who receives it."  That's cool!

Grateful God has called us to abundant living
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Ice
2. God calls me His child
3. God calls me to follow Him

No comments:

Post a Comment