Friday, October 24, 2014

Day 297- A Wobbly First

Today, I tried to stand on a wobble board for my "first."

Laura bought a wobble board the other day.  This is a round deal and it balances on a round bottom.  So, when you try to stand on it, it's constantly wavering from one side to the other. Joel and Hannah Grace had tried this earlier today.  When they brought it out for me to try, Joel demonstrated how to do it. He was pretty good and seemed to be doing it fairly effortlessly.  Laura tried and Joel stood by her to make sure she didn't fall.   Hannah Grace was pretty good at it as well.

I decided this was not going to very hard for me.  The first few tries were harder than I thought, but I knew I just needed to get the hang of it.  I've not really gotten the hang of it yet.  The blasted thing will not stay still.  It is not like I'm wobbling all over the place, but the edges keep touching the floor proving that I'm not balanced.  I tried some more.  I managed 10 seconds without it touching anywhere.  It occurred to me that Joel and Hannah Grace was doing this barefoot. I figured that was the problem. I took my shoes and socks off and got on with renewed determination and confidence.  It was not much different in bare feet.

I kind of thought my balance has been slipping in the last few years. This may confirm it.  Hannah Grace and Joel had practiced before I got my try. When I asked how long they had practiced, Hannah Grace said about 10 minutes.  I'm not sure she has a good sense of time.  It was probably more like 2 hours. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.













We need balance in life or we'll fall down. There is a sense in which we need to be balanced as followers of Jesus. That is true in lots of ways.  The one I thought of tonight was how we need to be balanced in the intake and output of our lives.  We need to receive from the Lord.  We need to receive His Word, refreshment, filling of His Spirit, encouragement, and the list could go on.  We can't do anything of any worth on our own.  If we are to be good followers, we must be good receivers.  Then, we also need to give.  We need to serve others.  We give away love, time, energy, attention, and the list goes on.  If we don't receive well, we will burn out.  If we don't give out, we become selfish and self-centered. 

We need to stay balanced in receiving and giving. This reminds me of 1 Peter 4:11 which says, "Whoever speaks, is to do so as one who is speaking the utterances of God; whoever serves is to do so as one who is serving by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen." That verse reminds us that we need to serve and give.  We can only do that in the right was as we are receiving strength from the Lord. If we do it that way, God gets the glory.

Seeking balance in the abundant life
Barry

3 things I think God for today
1. David's Catfish house
2. Flashlights
3. Sleep







No comments:

Post a Comment