Friday, October 17, 2014

Day 290- A High First

Our family went to the county fair today. If you have been feeling bad about yourself lately or suffer from low self-esteem, I recommend a trip to your local fair. If you'll just look around, you'll probably feel better about yourself.  It's much better for your self-esteem than a trip to the local gym.

We've been to the fair many times before.  Hannah Grace and Joel love the fair.  They love seeing friends and riding rides. I don't ride rides at the fair anymore.  I pay and watch.  That's a Dad's job at the fair. You pay and then watch your children. You are just happy that they are having a good time. This gets harder to do the later it gets.

Tonight, I rode the Ferris Wheel with Joel for my "first."  I've never ridden the Ferris Wheel with Joel before and I don't remember the last time I did ride a Ferris Wheel; I think it's been more than 20 years. The reason I don't ride the Ferris Wheel anymore is that it kind of scares me.  It's really high and I don't know who put this contraption together.  This is definitely a "first" that I would not have done if this was not the year of "firsts" for me.

So, I'm a grown adult and know not to be scared of the Ferris Wheel anymore. I kept telling myself that as Joel and I got on. It's pretty high.  Heights are not something I enjoy a lot.  I said, "This is pretty high" a lot.  Joel thought that was funny.  I also wanted something to hold on to for some reason.  It was more fun that I thought it would be.  Joel and I had a good time riding the Ferris Wheel.

Fried oreos was also a great "first"



Yes, fried oreo cookies; what a great idea













As we rode the Ferris Wheel and I looked down on the people, I wondered how many of them knew Jesus Christ.  There were all kinds of people walking around that Jesus died for and yet do they know Him?  It caused me to wish for a microphone so I could preach from atop the Ferris Wheel.  That might freak a few people out.  It is a reminder to me that everyone I meet is someone that Jesus died for.  Jesus wants them to come to repentance and faith in Him.  The Bible says in 2 Peter 3:9 (NLT), "The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent."

I need to be constantly reminded that everyone I see is someone that needs Jesus.  They are more than a category I might want to put them in like nice, cute, obnoxious, silly, incompetent, or something like that. They have been made in the image of God and God wants to save them.  That should change the way I see and treat people.  A thousand years from now it won't matter if I liked them, what I thought of them, or how they affected my life. It will matter if they know Christ or not.  That's something worth acting on and you don't need a Ferris Wheel to realize it. You just need to know the heart of God.

Grateful Jesus wants the abundant life for everyone
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. He wants all to be saved
2. A safe Ferris Wheel ride
3. Fried fish

No comments:

Post a Comment