Saturday, October 4, 2014

Day 277- A Writing First

I found a brain exercise that I tried for my "first" today.  This exercise is designed to use handwriting to help you exercise both sides of your brain at once.  I did a brain enriching handwriting "first" today.

There were three parts to this exercise. The first one was to write my name with both hands on the pencil at the same time.  I have a terrible handwriting. While this looked pretty terrible, it was actually probably better than I usually write.  I felt like I was on my way to a decent brain workout. 

The second exercise was to take a pencil in my left hand and write my first name and a pencil in my right hand and write my last night at the same time. This was to work on being ambidextrous.  I felt like I could do this.  After all, I could switch hit some in baseball.  I was terrible at this part of the exercise.  Whichever hand I thought about writing with, the other hand did the same thing.  Joel decided to give this one a try and he had some the same trouble I did with it. 

The last part of the exercise was to take a piece of paper, hold it against my forehead,  and write my last name with my left hand. This one I felt like I did OK with considering the circumstances. If you try this, you might want to be careful how hard you press against the paper. The book said I might be surprised by the results.  I'm not sure how I was supposed to be surprised.  The writing with both hands at the same time sure whipped me. The other two were not too bad.


Both hands on the pencil

2 pencils at the same time

Left handed on the forehead




It was really hard to concentrate on writing with both hands at the same time. Whichever one I focused on, I wrote that with both hands. It was hard to split my concentration on both tasks at the same time. As I did this, a verse came to mind.  It was Matthew 6:24 which says, ""No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."  We can fool ourselves and think we can live for God and something else (money, pleasure, entertainment, what others think of us, career, children, etc.), but we really can't. Whatever we concentrate on the most is what we will end up truly living for.  This reminds me that it is very important for me to keep firmly in mind what my ultimate purpose is.  If not, I'll drift off to living for things that may be OK in the eyes of popular culture, but not the best. God and His glory is the best purpose anyone could ever live for.  If you believe in the God of the Bible, how could you logically deduct that something is a better purpose to live for?  Something else might seem more fun or pleasurable but it could not truly be thought to be more important.  Let's live for the glory of God first and foremost and be done with lesser purposes.  Like trying to write both names with both hands at the same time, it'll probably give you a headache.

Looking for the abundant life solely in Jesus
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. God is worth our full devotion
2. John Piper's book Desiring God
3. Cool, fall afternoons with friends

No comments:

Post a Comment