Thursday, October 30, 2014

Day 303- A Dark First

Tonight, I took my black dog for a walk at night for my "first."

We have a black dog named Mei Mei.  When our kids were about 6 and 8, they started asking us for another child in the family. We told them we felt that we were a bit old to have another child. They said we could adopt.  So, we went to the pound and adopted a dog.  We named her Mei Mei which means little sister in Chinese. The kids now have an adopted little sister.

I've never walked Mei Mei at night.  I've probably only walked her in the daytime with the kids. This is definitely something I would not have done if it were not for the year of "firsts." 

When I got to her fence with the leash, she was very excited.  She was jumping up and down with great enthusiasm.  She does not jump on me. We had a little talk about that when she first got here. She was very excited to see me and go for a walk.  I put the leash on her and we took off walking.

It's pretty dark at night walking a black dog. We walked by the cemetery that's next to our house.  We did not go through the cemetery because it was night and I did not want to trip over a grave. That would not be fun to explain; this big bruise on my head is from tripping over a grave when I was walking my dog through the cemetery at night.  We then walked around the church.  It's pretty quiet at night out here where we live.  There was 1 vehicle that went by while we were walking. It was a truck pulling a trailer and the trailer had no lights.  There may have been one other car that went by in the 15-20 minutes that we walked.

I think Mei Mei enjoyed this more than me. I bent down to talk to her once and she jumped up and licked me on the nose.  That's about enough dog affection to do me for a month.  It was a beautiful evening. The temps were just right and the moon was beautiful. It turned out to be an enjoyable "first" for me as well as Mei Mei.







Mei Mei is not big on selfies





It is pretty cool to see how excited Mei Mei is to see us when we go to feed her or give her any kind of attention during the day.  When she sees me get her cups that I feed her out of she will run a lap or two around the yard and then jump up and down. She pretty much does that anytime she sees us coming to play with her.

The fact that God would give me His attention should thrill my heart.  God has invited me to pray and promises to respond.  Jeremiah 33:3 says, "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."  That should cause me to jump up and down. The God of the universe has invited me to talk to Him and spend time with Him. What greater invitation could I have? Yet, If I'm not careful, I can get a lukewarm attitude toward prayer and worship.  I learned a valuable lesson from Mei Mei today.  The truth that I can have my Master's attention should thrill me more than anything else. Who or what can compare to God?  Thanks Mei Mei.

Thankful for pets in the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Mei Mei's enthusiasm
2. Beautiful moon tonight
3. Jeremiah 33:3

She jumped really high and with great excitement after I put her back in her yard and brought her some food.

No comments:

Post a Comment