Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Day 281- An Eclair First

Tonight was our last scheduled revival service at Hopewell Church.  Some of our sweet people again fixed a meal before the service for us.  I went to the kitchen to see if there was a "first" for me in there.  Not that I thought I could cook anything like they were doing.  I was hoping maybe I could butter some rolls or something simple.  One of our desserts was chocolate eclair pie and the other was bread pudding with caramel sauce.  That will stop you in your tracks with a difficult decision before you decide to just get both.  One of our sweet ladies saw someone put the caramel sauce on the chocolate eclair pie and told me about it.  I put caramel sauce on chocolate eclair pie for my "first."

These are two excellent desserts.  I had never thought of putting the caramel sauce on the chocolate eclair pie.  I went to the guy that did this and asked him about it. He said he had never done that before either, but he figured that putting some caramel on the chocolate eclair pie couldn't be bad.  How could that be bad?

So, I tried it.  I asked Laura if she would like to try it and she said no.  This surprised me. She loves desserts and sweets.  She is adventurous especially when it comes to food.  I was pretty shocked she did not want to try this.  Bro. Don preached this week how we never figure our spouses out completely.  Here's one evidence of that for me. 

I tasted it. It was good.  Caramel is to desserts what cheese is to main courses. If you add a little caramel to just about any dessert it will make it better just like if you add cheese to just about any main course it will be better.  I did not go to culinary school.  That's just my take on things.  I liked the caramel sauce on the eclair pie. I'm not sure it made it any better, but it was definitely sweet.










Here's what I thought about tonight's "first."  Just because something sounds good and tastes good does not mean it is good for you.  I guess I could have thrown a hot Krispy Kreme doughnut on top of my dessert and it would have been very tasty.  It would not have added any extra nutrition.  Just because something sounds good and is pleasurable in the short term does not mean it is good for you.  There are things that I would like to say when I'm angry or frustrated and it seems like it would feel good right then, but it would not be good for me, my relationship with God, or the people around me.  There are times when a particular movie or book sounds good but I know it will not be good for me.  As followers of Jesus, we need to learn to do what is good in the long term for our relationship with God and others and not simply what feels good in the moment.   The Bible says in Galatians 5:23 that one of the fruits of the Spirit is self-control.  Learning not to give in to what feels pleasurable in the moment for what will be beneficial to our relationship with God and others is part of Christian growth. The thing is that I'm always glad when I say no to the short term desires of the flesh and yes to the long term benefits of the Spirit. 

A friend of mine told me this week that he loved salmon.  I said, "Really?"  Salmon is not a favorite of mine. He said that he learned that salmon was good for him and so he starting eating salmon until he enjoys it.  He then said he eats to live. He does not live to eat.  He wants to eat what is good for him.  That's the idea.  We need to learn what is good for our relationship with God and others and do that; not simply give in to the whims of the moment. We'll be eternally grateful if we do. Now, I wonder if any of that bread pudding and caramel sauce might be left over at the church....

Glad the abundant life is long-term
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. The way God used Bro. Don and the Crowe family to minister to families at Hopewell this week
2. Bible verses that relate to family
3. Knees

No comments:

Post a Comment