Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Day 287- A Run Through First

Today, Joel and Hannah Grace wanted to do some family jump roping.  One of the tricks they were working on was running through the jump rope while two people turned. Then, they would run in, jump one time, and then run out. I ran through the jump rope and then ran in and jumped one time and ran out for my "first."

It's been a long time since I ran through while two people were turning the jump rope.  I was a mite concerned about my timing and speed.  I don't want to say that certain family members doubted me, but there was one or two that sure acted surprised when I got this on the first try.  Hannah Grace enjoyed this a lot. Joel tried doing a 360 jump while jumping in and running out.  After that, Hannah Grace and Joel started jumping by themselves and trying the crisscross.  I would have done that in my "first," but I've done that in the last 5 years.  I used to like doing the crisscross.  I also used to jump the rope twice on one jump, but I did not try that one today.  My confidence level is pretty low on that trick.  Maybe I'll give that a shot on another day

 




Catching some air



As we attempted to run through while the jump rope was turning without being hit by it, I thought about how in life there are some places that we want to move on through rather quickly. The Psalmist wrote, "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me, thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me."  A few years ago I noticed that phrase "walk through."  He did not say camp out. If you are in the valley of the shadow of death, do your best to walk on through and not camp out.

Your valley may be something like:
  • Marital dispute
  • Emotional instability
  • Caught up in a sin
  • Slacked off of some spiritual disciple (like prayer, Bible study, worship, or evangelism) and it is causing a valley
  • Something else
You can't always pass through these things as quickly as  you want, but seek God and His will in the middle of the valley. He knows the way out and He knows how to make the valley a spiritually profitable time for you.  If you are in a valley,  you might as well grow in your faith and Christlikeness and not waste it.  If you waste it, you are very likely to prolong it.  Keep asking the question, "What is the wise thing to do?" when you are in the valley and pass on through. You don't want to get hit by a rope on the backside.

Passing on through towards the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Ability to jump
2. Valleys can be passed through
3. Psalm 23

No comments:

Post a Comment