Monday, October 20, 2014

Day 293- A Cashier First

I was coming home from my Bible study group tonight and decided to stop at a convenience store and get Hannah Grace and Joel a treat.  Joel loves Dr. Pepper these days so I got him one.  Hannah Grace loves the cold Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino so I got her one of those. These caffeinated drinks are for tomorrow, not tonight. When I got to the counter to check out, I decided to ask the lady cashier if I could buy her something to drink.  I offered to buy the cashier at the convenience store something to drink for my "first."

I told her I was buying the drinks for my children and that I would love to buy her something. She said no thank you.  I said, "Come on, let me buy you something."  She said something about that was sweet but I did not have to do that.  I replied that I knew I didn't have to but I would like to buy her something and that she watched people buy drinks all day and she probably would like one herself.  She said, "That's OK, I'm fine."  I said, "What do you want?"  She said, "Red Bull."

She told me that was really sweet and that most ;people around here were not very nice. I would disagree with that, but I don't work at a convenience store. If I did, I might change my mind. My friends around here are very nice. So, we chatted a few minutes about where she was from and we ended up finding someone that we both knew.  I said God bless you to her and we wished each other a happy evening. This turned out to be a fun "first."



Can I get you something?




The greatest gift


I was reminded of the church sign that I saw last week that said something like, "Be kinder than is necessary."  When we do, God may open up some doors to talk with people.  The thing I was excited about most tonight was that the person we both knew is someone who is very nice and a wonderful Christian.  I mentioned to her that he and I went to church together nearby.  This is the closest convenience store to my church (about 7 miles for you city dwellers).  I know that if he goes by there, he'll have an opportunity to talk with her and mention something about our church as well.  I did not push the "church" talk too much tonight because I did not want her to think she was some kind of project of mine.  I'll get to talk with her some more another day and perhaps my wife will as well.  Of course, she may already go to church somewhere.  That's fine; it's still a good opportunity to try and encourage someone towards Jesus.  Everyone needs to know that they are special to God and I need to treat them that way.
 
Joel read his Bible tonight and two of the verses he read was Mark 9: 36-37, "Then He took a little child and set him in the midst of them. And when He had taken him in His arms, He said to them,  Whoever receives one of these little children in My name receives Me; and whoever receives Me, receives not Me but Him who sent Me."  Everyone we meet is someone that we can serve in Jesus' name. In doing so, we are serving Jesus.  Try to see Jesus in the people you come in contact with; you might even want to buy him a drink.

Drinking up the abundant life
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Cashiers
2. Convenience stores
3. God cares for everybody


No comments:

Post a Comment