Friday, October 10, 2014

Day 283- A Turn and Jump First

When I got home today Hannah Grace and some of her friends were jumping rope (more like plastic). They were trying to learn a trick where the people on the ends turning the rope actually jump in and become the turners and jumpers. Today, I was a turner and jumper of the rope for my "first."

This was a lot of fun.  I was glad we had two ropes.  A couple of her friends were trying on one and Hannah Grace invited me to try with her on the other.  It took a few minutes to figure out how to turn and get inside the rope where you could jump. My first attempt went pretty well except I was jumping outside the rope. That's not exactly the idea. Hannah Grace was pretty good at it and taught me how to turn and get inside.  I kind of got it after a couple of tries. Once I got the the turning move down, I started getting it quickly.

After I got to where I could do it pretty well, Hannah Grace and I decided to try to do this move at the same time. So, both of us would be turning and jumping at the same time.  We pulled it off pretty well.  We enjoyed doing this. I was very happy to be able to partner with Hannah Grace in a new jumping trick that was really fun for today's "first."

















What I thought about as I did this "first" was how some things need more than one person to do. This is one jump rope trick that is simply impossible to pull off by yourself.  Someone has to be on the other end of the rope turning.  It reminded me that many things in the Christian life I cannot do by myself. Of course, I need the Lord.  I also need other believers.  How can I encourage without someone to encourage?  How can I support missions around the world if there are no missionaries to support?  My tithes and offerings alone would not make a very big splash for the kingdom.  When I get discouraged and spiritually beat down, I need others to pray for me and encourage me.  If we have an electrical problem at the church, I have no idea how to fix it.  If we have a construction need, I'm pretty useless there.  I need others in the body of Christ as do we all.

Let's not try to do this alone.  God never intended for us to live that way.  Ecclesiastes 4: 9-11 says, "Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor. For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not another to lift him up. Furthermore, if two lie down together they keep warm, but how can one be warm alone."  Let a few other strong believers into your life.  Let them know where you weep and where you rejoice. Let them know when you are discouraged. Don't let pride keep you from allowing others to really know you and help you.  God has made us to need each other.

Now as it gets late, I am going to apply that two laying down to keep warm verse. I'm glad I get to pick Laura as the one to lay down and be warm with.

Grateful the abundant life is not a solitary journey
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Mr. Frank feels a bit better today
2. Church's chicken mustard sauce in Andalusia
3. New lens for my glasses
































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment