Saturday, November 1, 2014

Day 305- A Face First

I texted my sister this morning.  Her husband had some surgery this week and I was checking to see how he was doing. She said he was doing pretty well and that they were at our parents' house.  She then texted and asked me if I wanted to try to Facetime with them.  I connected with my family on Facetime for my "first" today.

When my sister asked me if I wanted to try to Facetime, I wondered if my parents would give that a try.  My parents are not what you would call "techie" people.  My Dad especially does not embrace new technology or new things readily.  We gave it a go anyway.  Joel was here with me and my sister called me on Facetime.  It worked great.  We were able to talk to my Mom and she could see us.  We got to talk to Uncle Mike.  He could even show Joel his incision where he was operated on.  Joel has been pretty interested in his surgery. He had a pacemaker put in and Joel was pretty concerned about how they attached the leads going into his heart.  We had a chance to talk to him about that. We even got to talk to my Dad. He did well on Facetime.

Technology has really changed the way we are able to communicate with each other.  Who would have thought 20 years ago when the pager was the "in" deal that we would have a phone and be able to talk and see each other on it and not even be connected to a wire or cable?  We thought it was really cool to get a page and go find a pay phone and call someone back then. If you had a pager, you were seriously connected. Today we can see and talk to each other. We had a fun time getting in some Facetime with the family today.






When we got off the Facetime call, I thought about how that relates to our relationship with God.  The Bible says in 1 Corinthians 13:12, "For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."  It's very nice to be able to see someone on Facetime and talk to them. Of course, it is even better if you can be there in person to talk.  What will it be like to see Jesus face to face?  Right now, we live by faith.  I'm grateful that God makes Himself known to us through prayer, fellowship of His people, presence of the Holy Spirit, in times of worship, etc.  The truth that I'll see Him face to face one day is mind blowing.  I have wondered what my reaction will be when I see Him.  Will I fall face down on the ground and just worship (I think this is most likely). Will I shout?  Will I cry?  Will I break into song? 

I do think that when I see Him I will wish I had loved Him more and served Him more.  It will be so worth it to see the One who died for me. I'm glad for the beauty that the Bible tells us is in heaven.  It is hard to imagine streets of gold, gates of pearl, and walls of jasper.  If you had all the beauty, it still would not be heaven without Jesus. Jesus is what makes heaven heavenly.  Knowing this by faith should motivate me to love and serve Him more today.  He is truly worth it.

Grateful that the abundant life will include some Facetime one day,
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. A touch of Fall weather
2. Facetime with the family
3. The promise of seeing Jesus one day


No comments:

Post a Comment