Saturday, November 22, 2014

Day 326- A Complimentary First

We had a fun Saturday around here.  Joel and I helped pack Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes onto a big truck that will take them on their next leg of the journey to a needy child somewhere in the world.  Our church loves participating in this ministry.  You pack a shoe box, send it to Samaritan's Purse, and they will put a leaflet about Jesus in it and see that a needy child somewhere in the world gets it.  Then, Joel and I went deer hunting. I think someone must have been praying for the deer because we did not get one.  Laura and Hannah Grace went to town and bought a couple of shirts.  I asked Joel if he was glad he went hunting instead of shopping and he said yes sir.  I was kind of hoping we would kill a deer for a "first." I've killed deer before but Joel has not. I have never killed one when Joel was with me.  Maybe next time.

This evening I went googling for ideas for a "first." I saw an idea that said to write down 20 things you like about somebody.  I wrote down 20 things I like about Laura, Hannah Grace, and Joel and laid the list on their pillows for them to find when they went to bed for my "first."

This "first" was a lot of fun.  I wrote one for each family member.  As I did this, it occurred to me that this was not only a list of things I liked about each family member, but also reasons to thank God for each family member.  I am very grateful for Laura, Hannah Grace, and Joel. They each have special characteristics and abilities. They are all a lot of fun.  Thank You, Jesus, for my family.  Each member seemed to enjoy getting their surprise. Laura found her list first.  She did not give away the surprise at all- that's something else I could add to her list.  I want my family to know I love them and appreciate them so I need to show and tell them.  Of course, I could have listed more than 20 reasons, but that was a fun number to do.





Mei Mei did not get a list


Not sure why these photos are sideways, but they don't seem to be willing to turn right side up
 
 

 


I know you have family or friends that you love.  It's a good thing to tell them that often.  Sometimes I wonder why some people have a hard time expressing their love to others.  It might be fear of rejection, they are not used to expressing their feelings, or it may be the family they grew up in did not express emotions very much. There is no time like today to let people know that you appreciate them and love them.  I'm certainly glad God has done that for us.  Romans 5:8 says, "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." That's the greatest and most significant demonstration of love the world has ever known.  Wow, the sinless Son of God gave His life for sinners such as me.  Boy, I need to let His love flow to me and through me.  That's a huge part of what is truly important in life.  I heard a guy say one time that he prayed this way a lot, "Father, fill my heart with your love and help me give it away to the very next person I meet."  I love that prayer.

You may not want to make a list of 20 things (though it is a pretty fun exercise) that you like about your special people. Go ahead and get free and express your appreciation and love to those special people in your life in some way.  Tomorrow is Sunday so let's get real free in expressing our love and appreciation to Jesus!!

Loving the abundant life,
Barry

3 things I thank God for today
1. Hunting with my son
2. The guys that drive the truck with our OCC shoe boxes every year
3. Franklin Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment